BenefitsLink logo
EmployeeBenefitsJobs logo

Subscribe to Newsletters

Search the News

Featured Jobs
Defined Contribution Account Manager
Implementation Account Manager
Retirement Plan Administrator
401(k) Plan Administrator
Search all jobs
Get the BenefitsLink app for iPhone and iPad LinkedIn

Jump to content


2006 1099R

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blue


    Registered User

  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:20 PM

The 2006 instructions for form 1099-R states Code B (designated Roth account distribution) can be combined with codes 1, 2, 4, 8, G and L as appropriate. Does that mean if you had a distribution of an account with non-Roth 401(k) money and Roth 401(k) money being rolled to a traditional IRA and Roth IRA you would only need to completed one 1099R?

#2 Leopurrd


    Registered User

  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:33 PM

I wouldn't think so. I'm thinking that the codes it can be combined with further detail the transaction.
For example, 1B would be a roth distribution in cash before age 59 1/2. Code GB (or BG?) would mean you rolled over the roth into a roth IRA.

In a nutshell, it's like the normal codes, but you add the B if it's from a Roth.

If anyone disagrees, I'm sure they'll post!


#3 Kevin C

Kevin C

    Registered User

  • Registered
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:39 AM

Page R-2 of the 2006 instructions says that a separate Form 1099-R must be used to report a distribution from a designated Roth Account.

#4 Leopurrd


    Registered User

  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:29 AM

Thanks, Kevin!

Blue, I just got an ASPPA ASAP regarding the 2006 instructions for the 1099-R. You may want to read over those for more info. They probably make more sense than my rambling!