Curious about the bogus posts

I noticed another bogus post by SparkLeo (it's gone now, probably wisely deleted by Dave), and I got to wondering why it made some sense and no sense at the same time, and through a search, found an identical thread from 2000, below. S/he just added a question mark to the topic title. I guess there was probably an embedded link or something in there, but really, can anyone tell me what this is all about? Do these losers somehow get paid for this? Just wondering.

post May 31 2000, 01:45 PM

At a recent conference on the changes to the 5500 form for 1999, it was mentioned that the DOL will now require plans to file the complete SAR along with the 5500 series. Does anyone know if this is true?

Ed Snyder

sometimes the posts come through with links to elsewhere

'Leo' usually has links to weddings gowns . though sometimes the links aren't there,

(posts from others have included links to "depression", "Shelves" ,etc. I'm not about to click on them to see where they end up. its like spam e-mail, junk mail, and inserts in magazines)

sometimes the links are 'invisible' , I guess they are hoping you inadvertently click somewhere on the post and get linked as well.

based on my conversations with Dave, it's all computer generated.

when I find one I know for sure is bogus I delete the posts and send a note to Dave or his help to delete the abuser,

but it seems to be getting worse.

(interestingly enough, I also tried a search on this particular one (first time I took the trouble to do that) and discovered the same results as you.)

The links are more about search engine rankings. Lots of external links back to your site can boost search ranking. You might have noticed some hubbub about a month ago when Google changed it's algorithm... part of that change had to do with backlinking and how it's used in their search rankings. The idea is that by having lots of backlinks to your site, then people must like/use your site, so you get a better search ranking and therefore more traffic.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/arti...ur_website.html

Here's one guy who got arrested for gaming the system:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/arti...s_arrested.html

A long but interesting article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/business/13search.html

Kurt Vonnegut: 'To be is to do'-Socrates 'To do is to be'-Jean-Paul Sartre 'Do be do be do'-Frank Sinatra

Thanks for the explanation. I was also wondering why the strange posts were occurring.

If nothing else links to sites selling depression drugs might fit right in on this board, especially during AFTAP season.

I really hate PPA - we shouldn't have fought so hard to keep credit balances, because it is a clear case of "be careful what you ask for". Two hours figuring the PFB because they elected to use part of it to meet a quarterly, after the quarterly due date, then made a contribution later to cover it... and 15 minutes to check the actual valuation results... Whats wrong with this picture!

The material provided and the opinions expressed in this post are for general informational purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as the basis for any action or inaction. You should obtain appropriate tax, legal, or other professional advice.