Alternative Methods for Determining Fees in Lieu of Revenue Sharing

rocknrolls2

Company X has entered into a contract with Provider Y to provide recordkeeping services with respect to its 401(k) plan. For years, it has arranged for revenue sharing through investments in mutual funds not affiliated with Y which provide a rebate of a specified number of basis points. To continue with the trend of DC plans to shun revenue sharing arrangements, X would like to determine Y's fees on some basis other than revenue sharing. Some obvious ones that come to mind are a flat dollar fee per participant, a flat dollar fee per transaction (e.g., a loan) and a set amount per hour in connection with the performance of other services. Does anyone have any other alternative methods of arriving at fees that they have seen or encountered?

Thanks.

X would like to determine Y's fees on some basis other than revenue sharing.

I understand not wanting to use revenue sharing, but do they have a problem with keeping the fees set by using basis points?

I just set up a plan last week though a major RK with all non-revenue sharing funds. The still state their fee as a matter of basis points, and are paid by plan funds, just not via revenue sharing.

I agree with Rather, just charge an asset fee on non-revenue sharing funds. Easy to calculate and easy to explain. They can choose to have the fee be billed or deducted.

I don't like revenue sharing....I won't disagree with those that use them...

I tend to stay away from the per participant charge because I don't want to count number of employees. If I did have to count, I'm charging for every person I have to account for at testing time, whether or not they have balance.

I like answering when someone asks what are the fees I am paying? You pay the fund expense fee and an asset fee. Done.