W-2 wages Vs. Section 3401(a) wages

An elementary question.

What's the difference between W-2 wages and Section 3401(a) wages?

Corbel prototype & volume submitter documents have 3 options to select from for defining "Compensation":

a) Wages, tips and other comp for Form W-2.

b) Section 3401(a) wages (wages for withholding purposes).

c) 415 Safe-harbor comp.

For the world me I cannot figure out the difference between option a & b!? Aren't the W-2 wages also the wages subject to withholding?

Guest Carol the Writer

I thought, and I would appreciate any different points of view, that 3401(a) comp also includes comp received by a self-employed person. Such a person would not receive a W-2, but would have earnings that are subject to Social Security taxation and, therefore, would be eligible for pension benefits and contributions. Carol Caruthers, MSPA, EA

Carol, nearly all plans have additional language that is exclusive to proprietors and partners (typically earned income). As for the original question, I really don't know but I would suspect it involves impact of deferred or fringe pay. Sorry.

Having braved the blizzard, I take a moment to contemplate the meaning of life. Should I really be riding in such cold? Why are my goggles covered with a thin layer of ice? Will this effect coverage testing?

QPA, QKA

AndyH is correct. A simplified explanation of the difference is 3401(a) wages are shown on your paycheck each pay period. This is the amount subject to tax withholding. W-2 wages are calculated for the year and include the additional amounts, if any, that do not have income tax withheld. If you ever have a difference between the total amount on your last paycheck for the year and your W-2, you'll see the difference.

AndyH is correct. A simplified explanation of the difference is 3401(a) wages are shown on your paycheck each pay period. This is the amount subject to tax withholding. W-2 wages are calculated for the year and include the additional amounts, if any, that do not have income tax withheld. If you ever have a difference between the total amount on your last paycheck for the year and your W-2, you'll see the difference.

Huh!?

W-2 is just a form which among other items shows a) Income subject to Federal taxes [box 1], b) income subject to SS tax [box 3] and, c) income subject Medicare taxes [box 5] => using 2005 Form W-2.

As far as I know, income subject to Federal taxes shown in box 1 is what is commonly referred to as W-2 wages and that's what shows up line 7 of Form 1040.

So which item on (Form) W-2 is Section 3401(a) income?

Huh!?

W-2 is just a form which among other items shows a) Income subject to Federal taxes [box 1], b) income subject to SS tax [box 3] and, c) income subject Medicare taxes [box 5] => using 2005 Form W-2.

As far as I know, income subject to Federal taxes shown in box 1 is what is commonly referred to as W-2 wages and that's what shows up line 7 of Form 1040.

So which item on (Form) W-2 is Section 3401(a) income?

flosfur, your question does not address my response. There is a distinction between income subject to income tax withholding (3401(a) wages) and income included for income tax reporting (W-2 wages). All amounts included in 3401(a) wages would also be included in W-2 wages. However, certain income is exempt from income tax withholding and would not be included in 3401(a) wages, but would be included in W-2 wages (such as group term life insurance provided by the employer).

PLAN MAN,

I don't think you'll get a thanks from flosfur, so I will say thank you. That is helpful.

I didn't know one had to send in a Tip to responses on the Board, especailly when the responses are " I guess" this or I guess that!

Thank you Sires, one and all.

Guest Pensions in Paradise

The ERISA Outline book has a nice chart comparing the three definitions of compensation.

P.S. - no thanks needed :shades: