The first Social Security recipient

• Ida Fuller retired in November, 1939

• Received the first check in January, 1940

• She contributed $22 in taxes from 1937 through 1939

• Her first check was for $22.54

• Ida Fuller died in December 1974

• She lived just over 100 years

• In that time she collected Social Security payments totaling $20,944.42

The material provided and the opinions expressed in this post are for general informational purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as the basis for any action or inaction. You should obtain appropriate tax, legal, or other professional advice.

Guest Sieve

I'm jealous--not for the thousand-fold return on her investment, but because she collected more than I probably will!

Anyone who allows the general public to shoot hard rubber objects at his face and does not wear a protective mask probably wouldn't know one way or the other whether he is collecting SS.

The material provided and the opinions expressed in this post are for general informational purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as the basis for any action or inaction. You should obtain appropriate tax, legal, or other professional advice.

Andy Andy Andy. shows how much you know about hockey. Sieve is a wimp compared to some of the other goalies.

gotta love Gump Worsley, not just for the name.

Worsley was known for his wry sense of humour and various eccentricities. Early in his career with the Rangers, when he was regularly facing 40–50 shots a night, he was asked "Which team gives you the most trouble?" His reply - "The New York Rangers." Accused by Rangers' coach Phil Watson of having a beer belly, he replied, "Just goes to show you what he knows. I only drink Johnnie Walker Red."

He was also vehemently opposed to wearing a mask. Worsley was the second-to-last professional hockey goaltender to play without a mask - Andy Brown of the Indianapolis Racers being the final one the following season - wearing one only in the last six games of his career. Asked about why he chose to go without, he told reporters, "My face is my mask."

here's a guy who would face flying pucks without a mask and yet:

Worsley was also well known for his fear of flying. He suffered a nervous breakdown in the 1968–69 season after a rough flight from Montreal's Dorval Airport to Chicago on November 25 en route to Los Angeles, and received psychiatric treatment and missed action as a result. It is said that when he came out of retirement to play for the North Stars he was assured that, as Minnesota was in the central part of the continent, the team traveled less than any other in the league.

Injuries

a shot from Bobby Hull in 1961 that hit him in the forehead - The blast to the forehead from Bobby Hull landed him, unconscious, in Montreal's Royal Victoria Hospital. Upon awakening, he was asked how he was feeling and replied, "Good thing the puck hit me flat!"[

Worst I ever witnessed was Georgie Morrison [who?] taking a slap shot from 12 feet out and hitting Rangers's Ed Giacomin in the forehead. Giacomin skated off the ice, got stitched up, and returned in a few minutes to finish the game. Then there was the 1970 playoff game where Boston's Fred Stanfield's point shot hit 96 year old Jacques Plante in the mask and Plante ended up in the hospital with a concussion.

You spoke of psychiatric wards. I believe Detroit's Roger Crozier couldn't stand the heat in the goal mouth and ended up needing help. I remember watching him circa 62 when he starred for the St. Louis Braves, a Blackhawks minor league team. Who else was on that team whose name you might recall? Some center ice man named Esposito! We were such a rummy town that there was nylon mesh rather than Plexiglas protecting the fans from flying pucks.

The first Social Security recipient

• Ida Fuller retired in November, 1939

• Received the first check in January, 1940

• She contributed $22 in taxes from 1937 through 1939

• Her first check was for $22.54

• Ida Fuller died in December 1974

• She lived just over 100 years

• In that time she collected Social Security payments totaling $20,944.42

And we've been trying to catch-up ever since!!! :blink:

Guest Sieve

Tom -- I take offense. I was not a wimp just because I wore a mask earlier in my career than the Gumper. Gump didn't need the mask because he was so short most shots were over his head, anyway . . .

Then there was the 1970 playoff game where Boston's Fred Stanfield's point shot hit 96 year old Jacques Plante in the mask and Plante ended up in the hospital with a concussion.

Hey, I know the guy was an incredible innovator, but I don't think the mask allowed him to play quite that long!

:shades:

William C. Presson, ERPA, QPA, QKA
bill.presson@gmail.com
C 205.994.4070

Hyperbole by Andy t.a. Monsieur Plante was only 41 at the time - a veritable child next to Chris Chelios.

Plante and Hall were the last of the consistently able net minders ever to sport the Blue Note. It's been mediocrity for the last 40 years and I ain't just whistling Dixie.

Plante and Hall were the last of the consistently able net minders ever to sport the Blue Note. It's been mediocrity for the last 40 years and I ain't just whistling Dixie.

Which is worse?

1. Consistent season long mediocrity?

Or

2. Fantastic season play, with a playoff swoon (ala my Sharks?)

William C. Presson, ERPA, QPA, QKA
bill.presson@gmail.com
C 205.994.4070

Which is worse?

1. Consistent season long mediocrity?

Or

2. Fantastic season play, with a playoff swoon (ala my Sharks?)

So

1. Despair?

versus

2. Hope and failure?

I'd opt for a third choice: Hope and Crosby.

Guest Sieve

Andy T.A. -- Only mediocre goalies in STL in the last 40 years? Although at the tail end of his career, I wouldn't consider Grant Fuhr in the late '90s to have been mediocre by any stretch of the imagination.

Andy T.A. -- Only mediocre goalies in STL in the last 40 years? Although at the tail end of his career, I wouldn't consider Grant Fuhr in the late '90s to have been mediocre by any stretch of the imagination.

That is because you didn't see him play. Here's how he ranked in goals against average during his sojourn with the Blues.

1995-86 - 17

1996-97 - 19

1997-98 - 18

1998-99 - 17

The question isn't how great were the Edmondton Oilers with Fuhr in goal; rather, how great would they have been with Terry Sawchuck in goal?

I must say this banter is far more interesting and exciting than Social Security!!!

Sieve-

my comments about you wearing a mask weren't meant to imply you were a wimp on the ice. rather, being from Detroit I assumed you wore a mask because of the "ions" (that team that gets the "L" kicked out of them all the time.)

Guest Sieve

A.T.A. -- But, he was a winner for a relatively mediocre team. He played about 70% of the Blues' games in his 4 seasons, and his losing percentage was 37% (STL's other goalies lost at a 47% rate). [bear with me, I'm grasping at straws . . .]

Tom -- I've been dead so long, I forget why I wore the mask. But, hey, the Lions & Red Wings do have at least one thing in common: neither of them can play footbal!

Guest Sieve

And the Wings also probably average more goals per game than the Lions average points per game . . .

I must say this banter is far more interesting and exciting than Social Security!!!

Hockey? Ugh!

Go Braves!

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

Guest Sieve

I hate to get back on topic (sort of), but I can see the following post on this Board in about 50 years from now:

The LAST Social Security recipient:

• Jehosa Phat retired in November, 2030.

• Received the last social security check ever issued in January, 2031. The check bounced.

• She contributed $2.2 Million in taxes from 1980 through 2030.

• She received 2 checks for $220.54 each.

• She couldn't afford to die, so she lived until age 130.