CPC Exam

How do the modules for the newly designed CPC designation stack up to the previous QPA and QKA exams? Also, how do they stack up in comparison to the ERPA exam?

I am sure that the actual DB sit down exam and CPC sit down exam are very challenging, but I wonder about the modules.

I'm getting ready to receive the study material and wanted to gage my time to study.

Fyi...to give background info ... I have ERPA, QPA, QKA and APA designation with 10 yrs consulting experience in the industry.

Any advice is appreciated. Share you war story as well! :rolleyes:

"Great thoughts reduced to practice become great acts." William Hazlitt

CPC, QPA, QKA, ERPA, APA

I'll go out on a limb and assume when you say you have 10 years consulting experience its a good honest statement. I've seen many a resume making a claim which in terms of practical experience meant little. Some people work in a position and push papers and punch buttons and still know little. Knew someone who had the QPA designation and to meet the requirements of remaining certified did the absolute minimum (you could attend the ASPPA conference and sleep through sessions, or for that matter not even sit in on them) enough of the war stories!

When I took the CPC exams, I managed it with the head full of knowledge, extremely limited study time (the boss actually expects me to turn out work - imagine that) and sitting in on the cram sessions they used to have at the ASPPA Conference. I'm assuming the modules are the same as the cram sessions.

Those one day cram sessions, which were about a month before the test probably got me over the hump. But I'm sure anyone who claims to be quirky and nerdy can manage to pass. go for it.

Considering you and a few others are obviously very experienced and knowledgeable with regard to the retirement and finance/accounting field (some are CPAs as well) and are also obviously respected by your peers and others on this site, you would think you guys would be more tolerable and kind.

In any case, thank you for your input. It is appreciated.

CPC, QPA, QKA, ERPA, APA

my comments were not meant to be untolerable or unkind - if you took it that way I apologize.

you asked for 'war stories'. and that's what pointed out, I've seen resumes (I'm thinking of a former employee) who claimed an awful lot of stuff. If I was to go solely by his resume, he could take the test and pass without even studying, but I know better. so my comments were only meant to mean if your are honest about the background I wouldn't imagine you having problems with the test. the test isn't easy, but if you have a good background and you put some study time in, you will get by.

Considering you and a few others are obviously very experienced and knowledgeable with regard to the retirement and finance/accounting field (some are CPAs as well) and are also obviously respected by your peers and others on this site, you would think you guys would be more tolerable and kind.

In any case, thank you for your input. It is appreciated.

If you thought Tom's response wasn't being tolerable and kind, then I would like to welcome you to what has to be the very first message board upon which you have every posted.

I actually thought it was quite nice with playful jabs at the quirky nerdy name.

William C. Presson, ERPA, QPA, QKA
bill.presson@gmail.com
C 205.994.4070

I do apologize for taking it the wrong way, Tom. I've read many of your posts and I certainly respect your opinion and that of your colleagues.

I guess I felt that way because I posted a question a few days ago about a 412i plan which created such a stir that the entire post was deleted. Maybe it was the length of the responses or the topic, not sure.

Again, I do apologize. Please disregard anything previous.

And, yes this is the first message board I've posted on. I usually send questions to TAG but decided to try this as well.

CPC, QPA, QKA, ERPA, APA

I do apologize for taking it the wrong way, Tom. I've read many of your posts and I certainly respect your opinion and that of your colleagues.

I guess I felt that way because I posted a question a few days ago about a 412i plan which created such a stir that the entire post was deleted. Maybe it was the length of the responses or the topic, not sure.

Again, I do apologize. Please disregard anything previous.

And, yes this is the first message board I've posted on. I usually send questions to TAG but decided to try this as well.

Welcome to these boards and message boards in general, the land of no subtle comments and misinterpreted intentions.

:shades:

William C. Presson, ERPA, QPA, QKA
bill.presson@gmail.com
C 205.994.4070

• 2 years later...

This CPC exam looks to be no joke. (Not that I thought it would be; the Modules were sufficiently difficult)

At least the study manual is pretty exhaustive, though some of it is reprints from a couple of the modules. 565 pages!

I wish there were more practice questions. usually, i study some, do a practice exam, study more on my deficiencies then take another exam or two.

But in this case, there's only one previous exam available.

QKA, QPA, CPC, ERPA

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.