Form 8955 SSA

DPSRich

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

Owner and wife are only Plan Participants in a D.B. Plan. Son enters the Plan as an owner with more than 5% voting stock. No contributions to Plan as Plan is overfunded. Owner is 89 and is receiving his Required Minimum Distribution(RMD). Owner dies and spouse continuing to receive her husband's RMD as well as her own. Wife (age 92) dies in February 2011 and son as the named beneficiary of each (mother and father) receives both RMD's.

Question: Are both R.M.D.'s reportable on Form 8955 SSA? Actuary says no.

Any thoughts.

Thank you.

DPS Rich[/size]

Thought purpose of the SSA series was to advise persons that they may have a pension entitlement. Since pension has started, what would be the purpose of listing on SSA?

The material provided and the opinions expressed in this post are for general informational purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as the basis for any action or inaction. You should obtain appropriate tax, legal, or other professional advice.

Thought purpose of the SSA series was to advise persons that they may have a pension entitlement. Since pension has started, what would be the purpose of listing on SSA?

Andy:

That was my thought, but I wanted to be sure that I was in the majority.

Thanks DPSRich

Andy:

That was my thought, but I wanted to be sure that I was in the majority.

Thanks DPSRich

You are now in a majority of two. At one time I served on the Board of a sizable local not-for-profit. The vote was on most major financial issues 26-1 with my vote being the dissenting vote. The not-for-profit went under about 10 years ago after I had resigned from the Board. Being in the majority is only of consequence if the majority is correct.

The material provided and the opinions expressed in this post are for general informational purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as the basis for any action or inaction. You should obtain appropriate tax, legal, or other professional advice.

Correct. The purpose of SSA is to record a deferred benefit. A benefit that goes into pay-status is included on the SSA with a delete code only if it was previously included with an add code.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.