Gaming COBRA?

Guest Benny Guy

Guest Benny Guy

I read the COBRA time frames... 60 days to elect, then 45 days after the election to submit premiums during the initial COBRA start.

So what happens if an employee takes 55 days to elect (about 2 months), then doesn't pay the premiums, but they have submitted claims to insurance, and the insurance refuses to refund the premiums back because of those claims? As an administrator, when must I re-enroll the COBRA participant? Upon receiving the first premium check, or upon receiving the election? If it is upon receiving the election, we could be left with paying premiums for a deadbeat COBRA participant!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest matthew222
Most plans I've worked on don't enroll in COBRA until the first payment is received. Whenever I'm counseling someone about COBRA, I mention that he or she should consider sending payment in with the election form for that reason.

I agree. Most administrators do not enroll someone in COBRA for just this reason. Electing COBRA is really a 2-step process: notifying the administrator of your desire to continue coverage and paying the necessary premiums.