Chose FSA Before Eligibility Date for HDHP

Guest adowg20

Guest adowg20

I started with a new company part time in May and changed to full time in June. Our benefits plan year begins July 1st. My company only offers a HDHP with HSA which I was not eligible for until August 1. Because I started part time in May, I was able to elect some benefits to take effect July 1st and was told by HR to elect health by July 31 to take effect August 1 on my eligibility date.

I erroneously elected for a general purpose FSA that started in July. When I elected the HDHP on July 31st I checked the next day and did not have coverage. Human resources informed me a few days later I could not have coverage with the HDHP because I had the FSA which made me ineligible for the HSA.

Is this the usual protocol? I now know I cannot have both a HSA and a FSA. Would my not being eligible for health insurance until August 1 allow a change in status for my FSA? I wish human resouces had alerted me not to choose the FSA when I was inquiring of them about my eligibility date for health insurance.