applying for determination letter

Chippy

If a plan sponsor adopts an approved volume submitter or volume submitter prototype document, with no special language added, is there any benefit in applying for a determination letter in the name of the plan instead of relying in the approved document's letter?

Does anyone apply for determination letters in the name of the plan anymore if using an already approved document?

I believe that as a general rule, you can't file in such a situation any longer. (Personally, I wouldn't anyway, even if you could!)

If you modify it, then you can submit on a 5307 or 5300, depending upon the modifications.

You might want to take a look at Revenue Procedure 2012-6, and subsequent updates.

thank you very much. I didn't realize that they were no longer excepting applications on the 5307 if no changes were made. I have a bunch of clients that have gotten a letter at each restatement since the beginning of their plan and they think they have to continue. I knew it wasn't needed or required but I was struggling with a good reason not to submit. Rev. Proc 2012-6 just what I needed. thanks again for responding....