Has there been any announcement regarding splitting the C-1 exam into

I believe ASPA is planning on splitting the C-1 exam (as well as the C-2(DC) and C-2(DB) exams) into two parts each.

Has there been any announcement regarding an expected timeframe for this to occur?

(Presumably once they split into two parts each students will get to purchase 2 study manuals and pay for 2 exams...)

Stephen, don't be cynical. While I can't comment on whether c-1 and C-2 will be split into two sections, it makes sense. There was always a ton of stuff to learn in C-1 and C-2, little time to learn it in, and inadequate time to test for knowledge.

Kristina

Guest RBeck

I agree. The current exam structure covers a lot of material on each exam, and sometimes the exams "overtest" - that is, touch on concepts beyond the scope of the exam. It's better that the exams get split up and cover smaller amounts of material so that test takers are better prepared - the number of retests should drop if the tests are split up.

I'll join cynical Stephen in my view of splitting tests...just one more way to create more money. Yes, the tests are hard and require a big time commitment but I personally much rather take fewer exams despite the exhaustive depth and breadth of each than have multiple, yet more focused exams. I view the completion of each designation by the number of exams required and I'd hate to think I have ten exams to pass before getting the designation.

Guest RBeck

Then you sure wouldn't want to go for a CEBS or EA designation! I'm just as cynical as you are, but there is merit to the decision to break up the exams. There are other more thorny issues with the courses and exams - this solves many of those. It's not perfect, but if you all have better ideas, share them with ASPA.

• 1 month later...

I recently was part of a survey from ASPA, just a fairly comprehensive series of questions about the test process, what's good, bad, needs to be changed, etc.

Although the survey was by no means scientific, my impression is that they were serious about constantly reevaluating the educational program, which I think is great.

Anybody with gripes, compliments, or comments, I suggest emailing ASPA's E&E department. I bet they'd welcome the feedback. Just approach it in a constructive manner.

I have to admit that before I was called, I was reluctant to do so, but I am now convinced that they are making a sincere attempt at constructive evaluation of the education process.

Guest dubya

While it would be nice to avoid the cost of books and exams for another exam, even the cost of all of the exams and books put together still represent a bargain when it comes to learning and becoming educated in this field, something that many employers just don't have time to do themselves. Good planning also lets you use the books for more than one exam, as well as for ongoing work use (how many of your old college textbooks can you say that about).

I've been fortunate that my employers have seen it this way as well and have not hestitated to support the exams for me and for others on staff.

Still, my experience is that ASPA does listen very carefully to all comments and suggestions, good or bad. It can't hurt to call/email them to give them something to think about.