Crystal Reports

pmacduff

Does anyone out there have experience with the Relius "user-defined" fields? I have a plan where I have data in the user defined fields 1-10 and am trying to create a report with that data. I spoke with Relius tech support and was advised that the ud fields in database PLANEE2 for rows 1-5 are the only ones available at this time. She advised me that I could use the PARTUDF database and create a sub-report with reference to the lines after line 5 (ie., 6 - 10) but it was rather a complex operation and she wasn't even sure I could get it to work. There is a variable in the PARTUDF database that references the row number of the user-defined field. I've been trying to incorporate that and get Crystal to look, for example, at row #6 and print the data in row 6 and beyond but to no avail. I'm not super proficient in Crystal, but any advice would sure be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

wave the white flag and surrender.

the original instructions that came with 5.0 carried the recomendation that you replace planee2.userdef... with the new user fields. however, it was quickly discovered this wouldn't work, and I think they even removed this statement from the instructions. I actually tried back then to pull fields, but the only success I had was if I pulled only field. If I tried to pull more than one it stopped working.

I am guessing at this point, but maybe that is why you can pull the data into a subreport - but maybe if you only pull one field. which would mean a separate subreport for each user defined field. that is only a guess on my part. I too have always been told the same - 'it is complex' - and nothing else, so I have never bothered with it.

what you might try, depending on how many 'extra' fields - and if you are not using them - is to use the beneficiary fields - e.g.

name, street 1, street 2, city - or other census fields, such as internet, street 1, etc. I have used those fields with success.

be careful if you are importing data into these fields - I know at one time some of these fields would only import 20 characters even though you can enter up to 30 characters.

Tom - Thank you for the thoughts. As it happens, I do have quite a number of other census fields available in this particular plan that will serve my purpose (as in your example, this plan is not using the beneficiary fields). I am somewhat embarrassed that I didn't think of that solution myself...I guess sometimes it just takes an objective person to advise us of the obvious. Thanks again.

I don't know if the term 'embarrassed' is a good one.

I use a lot of those fields for other things out of 'desperation'.

and so this was a good post on your part, because others might not have thought of using them.

by the way, I am not quite sure how to pull the info if it was in beneficiary 2 (or more) so maybe my solution was only part correct!

Tom - After much trial and error, I was actually able to develop a crude report on Crystal that prints out all of the user defined fields! I entered through line 50 on one case and on another, skipped to 100 to see if it would print and it did. One issue is that the consecutive fields within an employee cannot be identical because I had to use the "suppress if duplicated" option on the ud fields in the report. Otherwise, it is working for what I needed. If you would like a copy, please let me know via e-mail and I'll be happy to send it to you. Patti

• 2 weeks later...

attached is a certificate for 1 account. heavily modified, it is a real speciality allocation based on current year and 10 years ago. (non qualified) however, it is mainly the user fields.

I have it set up to pull 2 ranges of user fields. Following this format, it should be possible to pull any number of ranges of user fields. Thus i have the report laid out:

user 10 user 15

user 11 user 16

user 12 user 17

user 13 user 18

user 14 user 19

side by side, but in that set up.

good luck. Thanks a bunch to Patti for getting e started on this one.

by the way, I had to have something in user number field 1. if blank I couldn't get the report to pull anything.