New Contribution Limits and State Taxes

ERISA pre-emption does not apply to taxation of income at the state level.

It is very likely that some states will not have brought their tax laws into agreement with EGTRRA. (This happens every time Congress makes a change.)

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

Guest shafter

You also have to be concerned that some or all of the new rollovers may be tax deferred at the federal level but not at the state level (among other things) The Fidelity memo regarding Massachusetts non-conforming issues is rather frightening. There has been a discussion of some of these issues on a catch-up contribution question also on this board.

This has happened before. Back in the late 70's/early 80's New York did not recognize defined benefit Keogh plans (anyone remember them?). Any contributions in excess of $7500 were not deductible and had to be added back by the participant to his/her taxable income.

Guest shafter

Since, I am not confident of my ability to send you to add the address of another thread here, if you search on my name you will find another thread called catch up contributions where another user (belgarath) posted the documents.