Eligible/ineligible plans

Guest Monster

Guest Monster

Please check me on this:

An eligible employer is a state/local government, or a non-church, non-governmental tax-exempt agency. An eligible employer can have an ineligible plan - or can become ineligible due to administration of the plan failing to meet requirements.

So what is an ineligible employer? Are these the non-governmental, non tax-exempt agencies that would establish a top-hat plan for a select group of management?

Is it fair to assume these would be "for profit" entities? (not always - but generally)

Who constitutes "ineligible" employers? Anyone not covered under the definition of an "eligible" employer? HELP.

Internal Revenue Code section 457(e)(1) defines an "eligible employer" as follows:

(1) Eligible employer

The term "eligible employer" means--

(A) a State, political subdivision of a State, and any agency or instrumentality of a State or political subdivision of a State, and

(B) any other organization (other than a governmental unit) exempt from tax under this subtitle.

Internal Revenue Code section 457(e)(13) provides the following exception:
(13) Special rule for churches

The term "eligible employer" shall not include a church (as defined in section 3121(w)(3)(A)) or qualified church-controlled organization (as defined in section 3121(w)(3)(B)).

An "ineligible employer" would be any other employer, e.g., a church, a federal government agency, or a for-profit corporation.

In order to be an "eligible plan," a plan needs to meet all of the requirements of Internal Revenue Code section 457(B), including the requirement that the employer be an eligible employer.

Employee benefits legal resource site

The opinions of my postings are my own and do not necessarily represent my law firm's position, strategies, or opinions. The contents of my postings are offered for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. A visit to this board or an exchange of information through this board does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult directly with an attorney for individual advice regarding your particular situation. I am not your lawyer under any circumstances.

Guest Monster

Then if I may inquire - regarding plans which are maintained by employers who are not "eligible" employers. Are these Top-Hat Plans? Or not necessarily?

Top-Hat Plans would would discriminate for a select group of management or highly compensated employees. Or am I missing something?

Is there such a thing as a 457 Plan of an ineligible employer which covers rank & file employees - rather than discriminating for the select group?

Is it that there are just plans of "eligible employers" (definition above) which are covered under 457(B) and the Top-Hat Plans?

Guest Monster

Or - is an ineligible employer not necessarily a top-hat plan, and can cover rank & file employees in a deferred status so long as the assets are subject to substantial risk of forfiture?

If true - who would set up these plans and why? Are they not eligible under the code for a 401(k)/like plan?

Of course, substantial risk of forfiture used to exist on the Governmental Plans but was removed by the requirements of the Small Business Job Protection Act of 1996.

Any 457 or unfunded deferred compensation plan of an ERISA-covered employer must cover only a top hat group. That includes an unfunded deferred compensation plan of a private corporation (which would not be a 457 plan), or a 457 plan of a nongovernmental, nonchurch tax-exempt employer. Even though a nongovernmental, nonchurch tax-exempt employer is an "eligible employer" for 457 purposes, section 457 prevents such an employer from funding the 457 plan, and Title I of ERISA prevent the employer from extending an unfunded plan to anyone outside of the top hat group.

Employee benefits legal resource site

The opinions of my postings are my own and do not necessarily represent my law firm's position, strategies, or opinions. The contents of my postings are offered for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. A visit to this board or an exchange of information through this board does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult directly with an attorney for individual advice regarding your particular situation. I am not your lawyer under any circumstances.