One more person pretending to know things about cars:

Guest Monster

Guest Monster

This one was only relayed to me - I wasn't there - but it was hilarious. Of course, maybe you had to be there.

Anyone with any years on them, or who drove an old American car as their first car/winter beater, knows that posi-traction (limited-slip) is that which supplied power to both rear wheels of the car (drive wheels -usually on older cars).

Some people know this because of the movie "My Cousin Vinny" in which Marisa Tomei's character explains why the defendants car could not leave two equal tire marks in the escape of the crime they are accused of (their car didn't have posi-traction).

Anyway, a friend of the family, who thinks they know very much about classic cars, upon being passed by a very dressed up classic muscle car at more than 50 MPH remarked:

"That car's set up like it's got Posi!"

Now, the obvious is just that - how can you tell if a car that is moving more than 50 MPH has power being supplied to both rear wheels? You can't. You would need to examine the car or see it spinning tires in the mud/leaving a burnout.

So for the rest of that day, we spent our time making equally ridiculous claims - the more ridiculous the better - about other cars, like:

"That car went around the corner like it's got power windows!"

"He took off from that stoplight like he's got factory floor mats!"

"That guy's set up like he's got the factory original lighter!"

"He got up to speed like that's the car's original paint!"

- but, maybe you had to be there. Or at least need to be car people.

Regards

Monster, very nice.

I'm a car nut, hence the username (own two Mavericks, 1 in pieces, 1 totally restored).

As kids we used this expression to ask what's under the hood/how many horses/is it souped up?

"How many does she sleep?"

We picked this up at a local marina -- one cabin cruiser owner was asking another the berthing capacity of his boat.

Time to go home for the day. I'll be able to make it home much faster cause I just got my car's muffler bearing replaced.

Maverick out

BTW, my car has those factory original floormats, they really make the car fly!

You must really be a (car) nut to own two Mavericks!

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.