No 5500 filed for medical/dental plan; what to do?

Guest Shanka

Question:

Our Cafeteria Plan Provider filed a 5500 for us, as did our 401K provider. It has just come to my attention that our medical/dental/ancillary provider does not file on our behalf. I am certain that I've missed the deadline. At this point can I file an amendment and include this other info on one of the 5500s that have already been filed? Should I bother? I am new at this and have no experience with completing this form. Our Cafeteria plan provider is different from our health provider, does this make a difference in amending the 5500? What do you suggest? We have one medical carrier and one dental/ancillary carrier, our plan has over 100 participants, employees do not contribute. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Shanka - You are not alone with this kind of a problem. The DOL has a relief program in place for you. It is called DFVC, search for it off the home page for Benefitslink. Realize that many plan sponsors will put all of their welfare benefit plans under an umbrella plan which allows them a single Form 5500 filing. This is not a straight forward option, but has been successful in many situations in reducing penalty costs for late filings and reducing ongoing costs.

You should check with your ERISA advisor to explore your options here.