COBRA Procedures Manual

Guest Janet Hartfield

To add a bit of statistics to the "20,000 lives/employees are not that many" sidebar, BLS (federal Bureau of Labor Statistics, for acronym-ophobes) reports that as of 1992 (latest available figures), just 668 US employers have even 10,000 + employees, compared with a total of over 4,600,000 US businesses of all employment sizes. The number with 10,000+ is about 0.15% of all enterprises.

So, 20,000 employees/lives is a relatively unusual business situation.

[This message has been edited by Brigid Anderson (edited 11-23-1999).]

I apologize that, due to time constraints in the last two weeks, I haven’t been carefully reading all the posts in this topic. Now that I have, I would suggest (as moderator of this message board) that we don’t need to hear any more on the "how large is large" issue.

mls: thank you for your remarkable self-restraint in not responding to comments from Gburns. I hope it continues to hold . . .

Everyone else: please be polite when posting messages on this board. We must disagree with each other, of course. That is what makes it a useful exercise. But our focus here is on content not personalities. Therefore, please confine your disagreement to what is being said—do not characterize the person saying it or question their motives.

Also note that I have edited or deleted the posts that prompted this message.

[This message has been edited by Brigid Anderson (edited 11-23-1999).]

• 5 months later...
Guest dennis london

quote:

Originally posted by Linda:

ERISA Section 602(3) states that an employer cannot require a qualified beneficiary (like a former employee) to pay the first COBRA premium before the 45th day after the qualified beneficiary's COBRA election. And, under ERISA Section 605, a qualified beneficiary has 60 to make his or her COBRA election. So, a qualified beneficiary can have over 3 months before he or she makes the first payment. This is one of the aspects of COBRA that really bothered employers -- way back when COBRA first employers (except possibly your soon-to-be former employer) have accepted it and follow the law.

------------------