allowable sep contribution if participating in another plan

Guest Elizabeth Gaskins

Guest Elizabeth Gaskins

i have a lawyer who was self-employed for part of the year (2001) and then went to work for a firm. he was not an owner of the firm. the firm had a 401(k) profit sharing plan in which he maxed out to $10,500 on deferrals and reached $35,000 with the firms additional contribution. can he now make a sep contribution for 2001 based on his compensation earned while he was self employed? if so what is the maximum contribution into the sep? any input is much appreciated.....

Since the businesses are not controlled/related/affilliated (??) and he does not own more than 50% he can have a SEP and make the full contribution (but if SARSEP, total elective contributions can not exceed the 402(g) limit).

When computing the individuals earned income, the W-2 income has to be taken into account in computing the 1/2 of the IRC 164 deduction. Thus, his EI will be a little higher with W-2 income (his offset will be lower).

If you want it computed, provide the pre-plan EI and how much W-2 income was earned. Can I assume no other employees?

Guest Elizabeth Gaskins

thanks so much for your help gary, much appreciated. i don't need it calculated, but thanks for the offer.