PwC Consulting name change

The name was funny enough. What's really amusing is how much did they pay some marketing wiz to come up with it? Or was it just a mistake? I can hear it now

PwC: "Got that new name yet?"

Marketeer: "Monday"

PwC: "That's a great name!" and exits stage right to prep the new collateral material

Later the marketeer admits he meant he'd have the new name on Monday, but too late!!

Good point - I went to their web site to check it out. Looks like they think the "Monday" will make people think - fresh start - new beginning.

Yep - they blew this one. Wonder what it will do to their image as a consultant. Leaves the thought "if they did the name research in house - what kind of work will they do for me?"

JanetM CPA, MBA

What was the song by the Mamas and Papas: "Monday, Monday, can't trust that day."

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

Guest JCatt

Would they be precluded from having a company function at TGIFridays? Hold regular office hours on Super Bowl Sunday? Not observe Good Friday? Will Tuesday Weld be their company spokesperson?

Does the NFL know about their claiming to sponsor a certain weekly football game?

Too many unanswered questions . . .

• 1 month later...

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

And then there is the other sides to the story not in the IBM announcement...

In this era of enhanced scrutiny of auditor independence, one has to wonder about the relationship between IBM and PwC, now that IBM is buying Monday (PwC Consulting). What they don't mention is that PwC is IBM's auditor (although they alude to the fact that the SEC is involved with a no-action letter because of it).

Then there is the crazy HWP debacle. Prior to buying Compaq, they were trying to buy PwC Consulting for $18 billion. IBM just bought them for $3.5 billion.

An ex-PwC employee has told me that the benefits consultanting practice of PwC is not included in this spinoff/sale. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The portion sold to Buck was Unifi, which was primarily the outsourcing practice. In addition, I think the benefits practice that was formerly Kwasha went to Buck. But PwC had lots more benefits consultants that did not go to Buck.

For example, a search of the Actuarial Directory shows that PwC employees over 240 actuaries worldwide, about 100 of which work in "retirement consulting".

Given that the law passed yesterday forbids an auditing firm from providing actuarial services, I would think they need to spin off somewhere. Granted, that is a restriction on services to the same client, but audit clients are where nearly all of their actuarial consulting is focused on.

Guest Ben S

Lest we forget... New Moon on Monday... Duran Duran

Im thinking I could have fun in such a culture. Where do I apply?

Good stuff. Thanks, guys