100% of pay

pmacduff

I've looked all through the message boards and can't seem to find the thread I wanted to review. What is the story with an employee who might opt to defer 100% of pay? As has been mentioned, I'm thinking of the second income earner making, oh let's say $11,000 a year. How would the FICA taxes be paid? I know that in today's economy, we probably won't see much of this, but how to address it when it happens? I know that prior threads mentioned putting in a document limit (for example 75% of pay) for administrative ease, but what about those few clients who insist on the 100% of pay limit? I thought a CPA responded that the employee would then have to "pay" the FICA taxes to the Employer, but that doesn't seem acceptable. What would go on the W-2 then? Any input is appreciated.

I do not recall the prior threads. Besides FICA, the employer could have state and local income tax withholding issues that would need to be dealt with, like here in PA.

I believe that it would be easier to establish a 50% or 75% contribution limit, or at least specify in the document that the employee's (100%) elective deferral election is subject to withholding obligations, deductions and reductions due with respect to the compensation.

100 % withholding is impossible because of all of the other witholding allowances in addition to FICA and state taxes: loan repayments, cafeteria plan contributions, child support, alimony ,united way, etc. that can be taken out of an employee's pay. Use a fixed amt, e.g. 50%, which is an easy standard.

mjb

This might be the thread you were seeking:

http://benefitslink.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=15011

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

Using a net approach puts a tremendous burden on the PA to constantly check the outstanding allotments of each employee-- The PA must monitor every change in the withholding allowances for adjustments down or up-- e.g., employee takes out a loan then the k contribtion must be reduced, if the employee changes income tax withholding, charitable contribitions, 125 contaributions, etc and PA runs the risk of having to pay penalities if a change in other withholdings is not reflected in the 401(k) contributions. The only way a 100% net 401(k) contribution system would work is if the payroll system is programmmed to kick out the 401(k) contribution every time there is a change in other withholding to prevent over/under contributions and the PA reviews such changes.

mjb