2003 HMO Renewals

Guest 1 Mary

Guest 1 Mary

I am in the process of preparing for 2003 HMO renewals for our company. This includes over 20 HMOs throughout the country. The RFP is almost complete, but before I send it I wanted to see if anyone as any input on a "must have" to be included in this process. With all of the current issues in health care, rising costs, etc.. I want to make sure to ask all of the right questions.

The most important thing of any medical plan, besides cost of course, is the network. Most HMOs have good networks since they do not allow for out-of-network coverage. However, with many doctor groups and hospitals being able to negotiate better deals with different insurance companies, networks can become volatile.

There are a lot of questions I ask on my RFPs, so if you'd like, shoot me an email and we can discuss further.

I think a big concern for the upcoming year would center around the new HIPAA regs and how prepared the companies are, not just with the transactions, but with the privacy piece. I am very wary of the "Of course, we are HIPAA compliant!" answer.

If you want any more specific info, let me know. i will be happy to give you my two cents (with the stock market, maybe my one and half cents!!!)