New York State Teachers' Retirement Plan

katieinny

I'm trying to get information about the New York State Teachers' Retirement Plan. I thought there might be a website, but I'm having trouble locating it if there is one.

Specifically, I'm wondering if a spouse is entitled to any benefit upon the death of a teacher. The teacher chose a single life annuity option. An earlier question on Benefitslink indicates that no spousal consent was required to take the single life option. However, I don't want to point to a message board as my authority. I would like to get it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Guest lisbetf

Was the teacher already in receipt of his life annuity benefit at the time of his death? If so, the spouse is out of luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Wayne Schneider

The web site for the New York State Teachers' Retirement System is www.nystrs.org.

No benefit is payable upon the death of a retired tier 1 member who has elected a single life annuity. A very modest post retirement death is payable upon the death of most tier 2/3/4 members in retirement.

No spousal consent is required when the member elects an option at retirement.