IRS Regulations

Guest Christine

Guest Christine

Please advise how I can locate IRS Regulations when I don't know the CFR site. I'd like to either enter a regulation number, code section or key words and then be able to view the proposed or final regulation.

1. Go to the What's New page of this website.

2. Click on the "Links by Topic".

3. Explore.

If you cannot find what you need, I suggest you email the webmaster (Dave Baker) and either ask his help in locating what you need, or request a link.

Also, there are numerous messages on the Message Boards; use the search capability. Some messages contain their own links to specific items.

The IRS home page is www.irs.ustreas.gov. Be aware that "old" regs and rulings are probably not on the IRS website, but might be posted by some private website. If you are looking for recent IRS or DOL releases, you can probably get them from a website or can get the link from this website.

In my office, we have a CD-Rom from BNA, hooked up to our office network. It is great, to be able to look up a reg or other cite with just a few clicks. It may be that the most valuable resource in the benefits field is the BenefitsLink website.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

Guest Mike Burmeister

We subscribe to a service offered by RIA called Checkpoint. It is an internet service that allows you to go to a website and do research there. You can search on specific code or reg sections, or on keywords, and it is very flexible. Our network people don't have to worry about CD-ROM space, etc. since it is on the internet.