Can't start a new thread

I'm obviously doing something wrong. When I try to post a new thread, I get a reply "Sorry, you are not authorized," etc...... and it tells me to log in and enter my password. When I do, and try to start a thread, I get the same thing all over again. Never had this trouble before, but I'm completely hopeless as a computer user, so maybe someone can tell me how to use this new-fangled software to post a thread. Thanks!

Dave, I was clicking on the "new topic" button. I was in the general retirement plan section of the message boards, and couldn't post a

"new topic." So I tried elsewhere, which evidently worked, although I have no idea how! So, could you kindly explain what is now the proper procedure if I wish to enter a new post under a particular area of the message boards? Thanks in advance.

I went through each of the message boards and manually set them so that everybody has posting privileges; there might have been some kind of permissions problem caused by the changeover.

If the message boards keep asking you to log in when you try to post a message, even though you've just put in your username and password, the problem could be in your computer's "cookies" -- the little text files that usually work behind the scenes to log you into the message boards automatically whenever you visit the message boards.

Here's the likely fix for such trouble:

1. Go to the front page of the message boards, which is http://benefitslink.com/boards/index.php

2. At the bottom of the page (scroll a bit), click on "Delete cookies set by this board"

3. Now does your screen still say "Logged in as: <Your Username>" up top? If so, repeat step 2 until your screen says "Welcome, Guest!" up top.

4. At this point, quit your browser (including any open browser windows).

5. Fire up your browser again and go to the front page of the message boards.

6. Assuming the front page says "Welcome, Guest!" now click on Log In and enter your username and password in the appropriate boxes. Below them, you probably want to leave the "Remember Me?" radio button selected ("Yes"). Thereafter you won't have to enter your username and password; that particular computer will log you in automatically whenever you visit the message boards using that computer.

If you still have trouble with the software asking you to log in (after you've already logged in), please let me know (preferably as a reply message posted into this topic).

Thanks!

• 2 years later...
I went through each of the message boards and manually set them so that everybody has posting privileges; there might have been some kind of permissions problem caused by the changeover.

If the message boards keep asking you to log in when you try to post a message, even though you've just put in your username and password, the problem could be in your computer's "cookies" -- the little text files that usually work behind the scenes to log you into the message boards automatically whenever you visit the message boards.

Here's the likely fix for such trouble:

1. Go to the front page of the message boards, which is http://benefitslink.com/boards/index.php

2. At the bottom of the page (scroll a bit), click on "Delete cookies set by this board"

3. Now does your screen still say "Logged in as: <Your Username>" up top? If so, repeat step 2 until your screen says "Welcome, Guest!" up top.

4. At this point, quit your browser (including any open browser windows).

5. Fire up your browser again and go to the front page of the message boards.

6. Assuming the front page says "Welcome, Guest!" now click on Log In and enter your username and password in the appropriate boxes. Below them, you probably want to leave the "Remember Me?" radio button selected ("Yes"). Thereafter you won't have to enter your username and password; that particular computer will log you in automatically whenever you visit the message boards using that computer.

If you still have trouble with the software asking you to log in (after you've already logged in), please let me know (preferably as a reply message posted into this topic).

Thanks!

I just joined the forum and am an idiot! I have typed the same question several times now but cannot figure out how to post my question on the message board. Help!!

I just joined the forum and am an idiot! I have typed the same question several times now but cannot figure out how to post my question on the message board. Help!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears you were able to figure this out.

Nope - Helga posted a question to an old message stream. Not a new topic.

Helga - Open any topic in the section of the discussion board where you want your posting to appear. At the bottom of the page, right hand corner you will see two boxes - add reply and new topic. If you click on new topic it will open a new message stream within that section of the discussion board.

Hope that helps - Becky