IRS Submissions

Guest asire2002

Guest asire2002

I think this may have been covered fairly recently, but has anyone had any experience as to the IRS' response if a document is submitted without all of the prior documents?

We have a terminating K plan that was established in 1990. The plan has always used prototype documents. It has never sought an individual determination letter. We want to submit it upon its termination for a letter, but cannot find the document in effect originally. We have all documents used since 1992, but not the document in place at the outset. Any experience as to what the IRS will do if we submit without the original document? Will the submission be rejected? Are there potential adverse consequences of submitting, i.e., would the IRS refer the plan for audit?

Kirk,

I would be interested as well.

I've got the hard copy in my determination letter subject file and remember printing it off over a year ago. I thought it was an attachment to some of the CPE material that the IRS publishes but I went back and couldn't find it.

BTW--I always find the CPE material very helpful. The 2002 IRS CPE material can be found here:

http://www.irs.gov/retirement/article/0,,i...=102249,00.html

Guest Pensions in Paradise

Kirk,

Sorry, I can't recall where I located the bulletin.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tcallow

I recently received a determination letter for a pla under similar circumstances. No copy of the TRA '86 document could be found. However, the IRS accepted as proof of the existence of the prior plan document a copy of an old 5500-EZ reporting the serial number of the sponsor's determination letter for its standardized prototype plan.