C-2(DB) required readings

I plan on taking the C-2(DB) in November. Out of the required readings I am hoping I can get by with only the Study Guide. I've got the ERISA Outline Book and I'll probably look at old exams. Is this sufficient for the average candidate?

Thanks for any guidance.

Depends on whether you are an average candidate.

:D

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

• 1 year later...
Guest kangerooster

R. Butler - Did you pass? I am planning on taking the exam in November of 2004 and need some advise! :(

I did not end up taking the exam last November. My testing cite canceled me 2 days before I was scheduled to take the exam & thee was not another open cite within 200 miles of Lexington. ASPA was kind enough to just roll me over to this year. I will also take in November.

If you have any questions about the studying e-mail me & I'll pass on the little knowledge I have.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest kangerooster

I'd like to know where you could get them also. I believe the old exams helped me pass the other tests. Since I only work on DB's on a limited basis I am finding it extremely difficult just using the Study Guide. The questions at the end of the chapters sometimes don't have anything to do with the material in the chapter.

I am open to suggestions on for advice!

For the last several years ASPA has been offering classes covering C-1 through C-4 exams. In each of these there are many sample exam questions. If you know anyone who has attened the conference they will be able to access the slides/handouts from the sessions on the CD-ROM.

There are also sample exams in the study guide (or on the ASPA website).

I did not find a reference to past C2DB exams on the ASPA website. Where do you find those sample exams on the website? I did know about the sample exam in the Study Guide, but I would like to have more exam questions than those to drill my students on.

Guest Distribution Diva

Hi kangerooster,

I took (and passed!) the DB exam in August.

You will need to get the Defined Benefit Answer Book. That should clear up any discrepancies you're finding between the practice questions and the study guide.

I hope this helps you.

• 1 month later...

Why are (most) of you trying to skip the readings? I had extensive DB experience before I took that test a few years ago and still learned quite a bit from the readings. I don't know if the readings are the same or not now, but part of it was FAS#87 and FAS#88 and they wanted you to read all of that. That is where I drew the line. There were two simple questions about those areas on the tests. Reading that blah was IMO a waste of time. But the rest of it was informative and useful.

Having taken all the ASPA exams, the ONLY material that I would encourage skipping (or just skimming) was the FAS "doctrines". At the C-2 level you need only to know the basics, such as the elements of the net periodic pension cost or the difference between a settlement and a curtailment.

And I HATED the C-3 reading but eventually managed to get through it before and after many dozens of naps.

I took the ASPPA DB exam yesterday, and...it was very tough. I had read the study guide TWICE, answered all the questions in the study guide TWICE, read the DB cram material three times, and read significant portions of the DB Answer Book. I felt prepared going into the exam, and fortunately I did pass. I definitely recommend knowing everything in the study guide backwards-and-forwards -- I found it to be a significantly harder exam than the DC exams.

Guest kangerooster

Congrats Wmyer :D

I am scheduled to take the exam 12-06 and have also read the study guide, sample exam, 2003 & 2004 cram sessions. Wish me luck!

• 1 month later...
Guest kangerooster

I passed the C2-DB exam yesterday and am feeling quite proud today!

For anyone who hasn't taken the exam STUDY STUDY STUDY!!! :lol:

• 8 months later...
Guest htatuaca

I am planning to take the DB exam this fall (2005). The link to the cram session material does not work anymore. Are the 2003 or 2004 cram session materials still available? Thanks.