disclosure of life ins beneficiary

Guest jac

Anyone have any thoughts on whether someone who was a named beneficiary for life insurance but then later removed as a beneficiary (by the insured prior to his death) has a right to know who the life insurance benefit was paid to? Any privacy concerns? Thanks.

I'm responding as an employer sponsor of a self-billed group term life plan. We keep the records of enrollment and changes on file for each participant. When a group life claim is filed the carrier asks for a copy of the initial enrollment and if there is one, any change of beneficiary forms. If someone phoned me with this question I would refer them to the insurance company that made the benefit payment.

The disclosure should be as stated in the policy and as governed by State insurance law. I would leave it up to the insurance company to decide if they want to make any disclosure.

George D. Burns

Cost Reduction Strategies

Burns and Associates, Inc

www.costreductionstrategies.com(under construction)

www.employeebenefitsstrategies.com(under construction)

The information is discoverable if the terminated beneficiary chooses to sue. Short of that, the insurance company will not release the information. The best way to find out is to contact the agent who can find out anything from the insurance company.