Cowboy Up

It means, I think, that the Red Sox are, theoretically, going to forget their past adversity and go forward, to the best of their ability.

Which I sincerely hope that they are unable to do! Go Barry!

Go Pedro! Of course, for us long-suffering Sox fans, winning tonight is a two edged sword. If we win, then we suffer the agonies of POSSIBLY losing to the Yankees. And we'd much rather lose to the A's than the Yankees. So only in retrospect will we know if we are truly happy if they win tonight. But, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

Petey, you da man...

I did think it humorous reading the Boston Herald this morning (Steve Buckley's column) to see:

Late yesterday afternoon, in the delirium that was the Red Sox clubhouse at Fenway Park, principal owner John Henry approached the locker of Pedro Martinez and delivered a simple message: ``Don't forget that Barry Zito is the guy who took the Cy Young Award away from you last year.''

The Red Sox had just claimed an improbable 5-4 victory over the Oakland A's in Game 4 of this never-to-be-forgotten American League Division Series. The park, the city, was going wild. It was a day in which Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz decided to be sluggers again, a day in which third baseman Billy Mueller made two sparkling defensive plays, a day in which Scott Williamson proved, again, that he is this team's closer. And now the two teams were getting ready to head back west, to the Bay Area, to Network Associates Coliseum, for today's for-all-the-marbles Game 5 Steel Cage Match.

Pedro Martinez will be on the mound. After all these seasons with the Red Sox, after all that happened this year, after everything that came down yesterday at the old Kenmore ballyard, could he possibly need any additional inspiration?

A victory sends the Red Sox hurtling back east, to the American League Championship Series. That, all by itself, is enough. Right?

Yet there was Henry, tossing in that comment, that Zito zinger. It was the cool lefty from Oakland who claimed the Cy Young Award from Martinez last year, came the verbal interoffice memo from John Henry. It was 1) Zito, 2) Martinez and 3) Derek Lowe, and the guy who came in second wasn't crazy about the results. So Henry, leaving nothing to chance, absolutely nothing, decided to create a Zito subplot.

``I'm glad he reminded me of that,'' Martinez said later, as media types started to empty out of the busy clubhouse. ``I'm glad he put that there for me. I don't blame Zito for what happened last year. I really don't. But it's good that (Henry) told me that.''

``I think it gives him a little more incentive,'' Henry said, confirming his conversation with Martinez. ``I feel pretty good about Pedro Martinez pitching Game 5. How could anybody not feel that way?''

Guest BenefitsLawyer
:o Wouldn't it just be too strange if the Cubs and Sox both made it?? I mean, how could we go on without an always-loser in each league?

If you could promise me a Cubs-Red Sox World Series, I'd gladly pull for the Red Sox in the final game tonight against the A's. Then, of course, I would be pulling for the Cubbies. But something tells me the Yankees would just crush the Red Sox, if given the opportunity. Could the Red Sox fans really cope with that? Would you really want THAT on your conscience? Wouldn't be a good time for the Life Insurance industry. I'd be watching the stop-loss limits if I were a reinsurance carrier. No increases to those with a New England policy base! ;-)

A ha, a Braves fan in the mix, Pax. I only have one comment about that fabled sports town, 'Lanta. I was down visiting friends in 1987 for the Valvoline runoffs @ Road Atlanta during the World Series. That Saturday night (having a vested interest in the Twins, and my friend in the Cards), Atlanta TV DIDN'T SHOW the WS game as it was preempted for the Bulldogs college football game!

Hey Andy, heard the Henry comments all over today in Boston (including the Globe, WBZ, and Peter Gammons on WEEI). Anything to get Petey more psyched.

Here's actually a funnier link to what happened to Hudson yesterday... (shades of Larry Bird back in '85):

Hudson out drinkin' and brawlin' Friday night...

Hey Andy: at least Gail and Laura used names this time (instead of their usual Sins of the City approach). ;)

You know, I watched the end of the game and am still not quite sure what Oakland was so upset about with Lowe's motions. Didn't look like anything more than him pumping his fist in celebration to Vtek. I guess Tejada was pissed off (and maybe he should be, for batting .067 "in the clutch" can't exactly help his market value on the free agency market this winter), but I think it's more the fact that this bunch of A's haven't yet (9 straight and counting) felt what it's like to actually win a series, and therefore don't understand that it is ok to get a little excited when you actually WIN.

Don't even remind of those stupid Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle shoelaces Roger wore when he was carried off horizontally...

Now Dave Stewart (who owned Roger) and that bunch knew how to win (and we certainly can't forget the early 70's group Catfish et al). Fortunately none of that tradition has worn off on this new team (soon to start taking some serious free agent broadsides to the goodship Moneyball).

• 1 month later...