Calculating the Rate of Return on Late Contributions

Guest PAL100759

Guest PAL100759

Is there software or some other type of service that can provide me with the rate of return for a handful of mutual funds for a specific period of time. I have the ticker symbols of the funds involved and need to get what the fund returns were during the period in which the plan had late contributions. The contributions have been deposited already. I intend to use the highest rate of return in order to complete the PT correction. Thanks.

PAL

Guest PAL100759

The plan's recordkeeper in a TPA who is not very helpful - perhaps because this is a plan that we acquired and will eventually merge into one of our larger plan (if we can ever get this cleaned up).

For example, they said that calculating these earnings would be very expensive because they had to do it person by person. Keep in mind that it's one contribution and we have the date the contribution should have been deposited, the date it actually was deposited, and a spread sheet with each person and the amount. When I suggested that we use the highest fund return for the period instead of individual rates of return, they seemed clueless as to what I was talking about! I've been trying to get this corrected for months and at this point, I'm thinking it would be easier for us to come up with the earnings and have the TPA post it. I just need to get the fund returns.

PAL

There is monthly Principia diskette from Morningstar which has return information for a number of different periods. Phone: 800-735-0700 or try MorningstarAdvisor.com

Some free websites; data definitely is not always accurate

http://quicktake.morningstar.com/Fund/Snap...PTRIX&hsection=

http://www.estrong.com/strongweb/strong/js...fo/qr/index.jsp

http://bloomberg.com/

The trouble with all sources is that they are inflexible regarding their time periods. All are based upon a month end date and do not have all possible monthly time periods.

Bloomberg.com used to have Total Return Calculator where you could put in the dates. It is gone now - they want you to buy Bloomberg Professional, which is more than $1,000 per month. I have yet to find another website where you can put in the beginning and ending dates for return calculations.

• 2 weeks later...

Harwood:

I don't think that this site has a calculation of total return including dividends, unless they have added that under their "Advanced Tools" for those who sign up (i.e. are willing to pay for it), which I have not.

However, the site does list some dividend information under the stock's "profile" link. There is also a link on the "profile" page for "more features," which includes a daily earnings calendar. Also, when you chart the stock you have the option of including symbols that show the timing of dividends and changes in earnings.

It's not a perfect solution, but I have found it extremely useful when I can't seem to get complete information from another source.

...but then again, What Do I Know?