Sign in to follow this  
pmacduff

Searching the boards

I see on many posts "search the boards, that topic has been discussed MANY times before". I thought I was at least average intelligence, but I seem to fall down miserably when it comes to searching these boards and finding what I need. Usually when I try a search, lots of posts come up but many are unrelated because they only contain one of my search words. I tried using more detail in my search to no avail, I then get practically nothing to come up. What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

I have the same problem. I try using the advanced help and those suggestions never work for me. I find it impossible to search now.

I thought it was just me.

Try the "More Options" tab. Then make sure you look at all the paramters carefully, choose key words carefully, use phrases in quotation marks, and narrow down the forum(s).

Thanks pax - I'm on the old "safe habor, top heavy, crosstested plan" and "who has to receive the gateway" problem. I know it has been discussed an INFINITE number of times on the boards. I have found many posts with the 3% SHNEC, but am trying to find one that might reference safe harbor match, top heavy & cross testing. My brain is ready to explode and I was hoping to read some posts that would clear my mind. Thanks again.

Archimage, I thought it was just me as well. The search function is not nearly as good as it was about two years back. When Dave changed the software it helped in a number of areas, but searches became much more difficult. I find the search function on the main benefitslink page much easier to use. If I had one suggestion for an upgrade on the Boards, revising the search function would be it.

Definitely use the "more options" search. I have seldom had good luck with the regular search. Also, I have had more success since I started using the Advanced Usage Helps. (See link on more options search page.)

The "+", "-" and "*" symbols really helped refine my searches.

I have had very limited success with the + signs. Seaches that I know should return results sometimes do not. Other times the + signs don't seem to "take" and I get an absurd number of "hits". I think there is also some sort of limitation that your word must be at least 4 charachters long. So searching on issues regarding the "put" in with ESOPs, or "MRD" or "REA" etc. come up with nothing.