A day for actuaries

:D

Now that we have gotten thru another Administrative Assistant's Day, it is clear that Hallmark needs another ocassion for selling cards. The obvious candidate must be Actuary's Day. I propose October 16 (when most of our 5500 filings are done).

Any other suggestions?

P.S. Some in my office think everyday is Actuary's Day. I don't understand.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

I like the idea of February 29th, but since it would be actuaries' day, I suggest we form a committee of say 12 actuaries, and then let them determine the exact time of celebration. Since they only deal in (educated) probabilities, they would never be able to make that decision - but it would be fun watching....

:-)

If we limit this to Enrolled Actuaries' Day, instead of actuaries in general, there is an easy day to pick: September 4.

That is the day President Ford signed ERISA in 1974 (Labor Day), creating the Enrolled Actuary designation.

It should be in April or August ("A" months). Since these months have no recognized federal holidays, we could craft one here to give us non-A types a break from the rigors of having to deal with our actuaries. (of course, the actuaries could have the day off too, though mine might appreciate the opportunity to get some work done without being interrupted by numeric mortals.) :shades:

If limit it to Enrolled Actuaries and want an "A" month, I would say April 1st, since we are all fools for staying in this dinosaur business.

WDIK - tremendous post!

The material provided and the opinions expressed in this post are for general informational purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as the basis for any action or inaction. You should obtain appropriate tax, legal, or other professional advice.

Although Hallmark wouldn't see the sales opportunity, there is another group to approach--Congress. They are actually the ones that name days, weeks and months. Of course, someone would have to cough up a hefty campaign contribution to get this accomplished.

I remember a study a few years ago that said that over 95% of the bills passed by Congress in the past couple decades were just naming days, weeks or months. Every day now has literally hundreds of designations assigned to it (llama day, third sibling day, etc.).

Just imagine. An actuary who is a third sibling, and who has a pet llama !

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

3.14 to 1.

Obviously.

the actuaries already lost their days - back in 1582. in fact 10 of them.

I vote their day can be the one that occurs every 2500 years.

Pope Gregory XIII reformed the old Julian Calendar in A.D. 1582. His "Inter Gravissimas" papal bull described changes intended to return the annual cycle of Easter and other festivals to what was considered to be their proper calendrical positions.

1 To accomplish the desired goals he removed ten days from October of 1582, specified an intricate method of fixing Easter's date and modified the leap year rule.

For the latter, Gregory decreed that February would continue to have an extra day every four years—except for centennial years, in which that month would have a 29th day only if the A.D. number was evenly divisible by 400.

This was an improvement over the old Julian rule that designated every fourth year, without exception, to have an intercalary day. But our calendar could get at least one day further out of phase with solar years every 2500 years or so if we continue to follow Pope Gregory's specification.

2 Big deal? You bet it is! I don't think my software can handled the 2500 year probablem.

Guest CitationSquirrel

AndyH: There is one small problem with using Mr. Spock's birthday for the holiday. Since Star Trek occurs in the future, Mr. Spock has not yet been born. And, as we all know, a person who is not born yet cannot have a birthday. That also creates a problem with calling him the "first" actuary.

FWIW, I have a good freind who is a Trekkie. She says that she has only located the possible year of his birth in Vulcan time (She say is was 2227). She was unable to locate any month, day, or year equivalent for Earth time.