DB Valuation Software Poll

Guest Glen

Guest student_actuary
What software do you use for mid-size (200 - 1,000) plans? How well does it work for you? We currently use Datair and are looking to upgrade our software and would like to get some feedback from users of other products. Thanks.

what is the approx cost of datair (ball park figure) compared to say wystar or asc. Glen your comparison sheet is no longer available for download........could some one give me an estimate

I use ASC for multiple plan cross testing some times. You have to be careful about the parameters and the use of multiple cases. Either use SSN's in both files to match them up, or have no overlapping employee records.

The results do not appear to handle subsidized early retirement to my satisfaction, but if they are ordinary designs, you can get it completed. I still prefer Datair for the small plan tests.

Others tell me that Larry Deutch has the better system for this purpose.

Guest Texas_Acty

We use ProVal. I agree with all of the positive feedback I have read here about it.

However, I have not noticed any small plan "hiccups" or other issues. Except, maybe, the commentator meant that small plans do not need as sophisticated a system as ProVal to prepare a reasonable valuation. That may be true. On the other hand, by using the valuation program to determine the raw liabilities, you can feed the results into the cost summarization module (called Valuation Sets) and use those results to compare against Excel-generated cost summarizations, which we use as a confirmation that our cost summarizations are correct.

• 5 weeks later...
I've attached a spreadsheet showing a very rough summary of our reviews, including prices. Note: it is not complete, so do not take the absence of an "X" to automatically mean that the software can't handle that feature.

The attachment isn't working now for some reason-- Glen, could you possibly upload another spreadsheet into a reply message in this thread?

Dave Baker

• 10 years later...

Has anyone had experience moving a block of business from Relius to Datair? Been told this can not be mapped easily and that this is mostly a manual process. I struggle to believe that Datair does not have an application for this?