Sign in to follow this  
Lori Friedman

What's your background?

We have four seasons in California, too. We just don't have to live in them all the time. If I want fall or winter, I can hop in my car and drive to Lake Tahoe in a few hours. Southern California is the only place I know where you can go to the mountains, the desert and the beach, all in one day. I actually did that one day when I was in high school just to prove it oculd be done.

I have lived in many places that had only two seasons (the Philippines, Okinawa, Mississippi, Texas) hot and dry or hot and raining. Other places I have lived had only two or three seasons, Upper Michigan, Oregon, Nevada, Idaho, Germany, Iceland, Korea..........

I like the variety here.

Lets see, my dad was military then dept of Navy civilian, I was military but got out, married someone in the military....... he retired, divorced now. Along the way, using many different schools I managed accounting degree and CPA.

Belgrath, that kind of reminds me of the seasons in Ohio, most of which include gray skies.

Belgarath,

You also didn't mention Skeeter & Shad Fly seansons. I grew up along the Hudson area in Westchester NY

In Ohio, our 4 seasons are known as: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction season.

Graduated from college and somehow fell into the retirement plan field, and have been at it for the past 12 years. Our company's structure puts me into a lot of situations where I'm working without a net, hence my hobby of making frequent posts on benefitslink looking for help or verification. I try occasionally to offer my own input to others on this site, or at least try to sound like I know what I am talking about. Like the old saying goes: " You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time.....and those are pretty good odds".

When I moved from Dayton last august I would have swore it was winter and fixing the roads. All that contruction at 70/75 was a nightmare.

Guest ritchie

Lori, see what we can do together?

3,671 views and 83 replies as of today and when I found your post you were all alone with 0 replies and no cross dressers or cross testers.

Time for a sing-a-long?

Guest lhinson

I've been in defined contribution plan administration for about 8 years. I fell into my first position because my resume was on file at a related bank. I now have my QKA (almost, just have to send them money) and am working on my APA.

Prior to this life, I managed a fast food restaurant (don't ask).

I would like to someday be more into a consulting type of career, but as yet have not had any DB experience, which would probably be helpful.

2 kids, 4 months and 4 years.

Hey Maverick, I'm also a Packer fan, born and bred. I can't even describe the abuse I get living in Pittsburgh. My family lives a little north of Green Bay. I get home when I can (drive to Chicago and turn right).

Although they did finally (and resoundingly) win one, my sister called me with this joke: How do Packer fans count to 16?

0 and 1, 0 and 2, 0 and 3...

Hee Hee

It's always road construction season here. :(

My background - my dad worked at the fire station with a guy who also worked part time selling medical equipment. One summer the accounting office needed someone to catch them up on their filing, so a temporary one month position before senior year of high school sounded good for a little extra cash.... and here I still am, having worked my way through accounts payable to payroll and now benefit administration... 17 years later... :D

OK, Since I got no takers on "Winky Dink", here's a site to tell you all about this early 1950's very first interactive kids T V Show.

"Winky Dink"

I remember Winky Dink! I was born in 1962, and remember watching the show until about 1967 or so. There was a clear plastic sheet that was put over the TV screen so that us kids could help Winky Dink out. As an example, Winky would come to the edge of a cliff and ask us to draw him a bridge to the other side. He would then wait 5-10 seconds, thank us, then escape the bad guys. Perhaps the demise of the show was that some of us did not use the plastic sheet to help Winky out.

O.K. I was born in 1951! And proud of it. I started with what was then a Big 8 accounting firm, one which sadly is no more. ERISA had just passed when I started and I was thrown at it and stuck. It has been a joy and pleasure to have been associated with a field that has contributes so much to society, such as this brilliant message stream!

Holiday wishes of Joy and Peace to all!

Winding down on a Friday afternoon, I discovered Lame Duck's post about Southern Californians going to the mountains, beach and desert in the same day. I believe that on (the big Island of) Hawaii that can be done in a couple of hours.

To Becky Miller, I hope that by a field that contributes to society you mean pension professionals of various types, and not auditors.

And to the original topic of this thread, I started as an actuarial sutdent about the time ERISA rolled around, became an Enrolled Actuary, worked in a number of different environments, and now a benefit manager.