There are just 3 things I know for certain

1. When it comes to retirement plan, deferred compensation, and employee benefits issues, what I do know is greatly exceeded by what I don't know.

2. Every day, I learn something new and valuable at this message board.

3. I'm extremely grateful for all the knowledge and information that people are willing to share.

Lori Friedman

Only 3?

What about "death and taxes"?

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

Andy, the Red Sox remain the biggest mystery and enigma in my entire life. :)

Lori Friedman

All true Red Sox fans are eternally hoping for the best, and expecting the worst. So even though we secretly hope that this is the year, we'll publicly predict a complete collapse. That way we won't be too disappointed. I call it optimistic pessimism.

I think it's pretty much the way New Englanders are about the weather. For example, if you say to a Californian, "Sure has been a beautiful summer" the Californian will agree. A New Englander will respond, "Yeah, but we're going to pay for it - it's going to be a hard winter." But if you say, "Boy, has it been a lousy summer" the New Englander will respond, "Yeah, and that means this weather pattern will carry over to winter." If you say, "This winter sure was warmer than usual" the New Englander will respond "Yeah, so the whole darn summer will be hotter and more humid than usual."

See how it works? Same with the BoSox. So they are going to collapse in September. (But SSHHH - maybe THIS is the year...)

I heard the problem well stated on WEEI radio last night within the context of the Patriot's winning 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls.

New England fans have a sense that they are not worthy of such success.

Sounds like the Curse of the Bambino to me.

But maybe Nomar has broken it for us.

Belgarath, AndyH, and Stephen,

Pax can't even begin to understand the angst and pain that exist within our souls. But, I have 3 words for this evening: "Pe-dro, Pe-dro, Pe-dro".

Hey, are any of you old enough to remember Big Yaz Bread?

Lori Friedman