Sign in to follow this  
Lori Friedman

Anybody want to talk about the Red Sox?

Brian? AndyH? PATA? Calling all Red Sox fans...

I'd love to chat about this past weekend, including the lamest bench-clearing brawl in baseball history.

I've put this message in the "Inspiration" forum because I think that the Red Sox are pretty darned inspiring.

We purchased Extra Innings from our cable supplier this year. Living in Ohio, we only got to see the Sox if they were playing the Indians or were on ESPN (or if we managed a trip to Boston.) I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse to be able to watch almost every Sox game.

jeanine, Like you, I subscribe to Extra Innings and watch just about every Red Sox game (I live in the Washington, DC area). I'm held hostage by digital cable.

Isn't it weird how the Extra Innings broadcast just cuts off, so abruptly, immediately after every game? And, don't you just hate that monotonous, droning music that plays when there's no broadcast?

Just got back from the ol' sod. Got to see the Schilling gem Tuesday night. First base side, just behind the screen, 20 rows up.

They're rabid out there. Turn on the tube at 7. Watch and scream about every pitch 'til 11-12 at night. Perfect.

No Name, Most people have forgotten that Curt Schilling is a product of the Red Sox farm system. Way back when, the Sox traded him and Brady Anderson to the Orioles in return for Mike Boddicker. When Schilling signed on with the Red Sox last winter, he was really just going back to his roots.

Brady and Bod are long gone from the game, but Schilling's still going strong.

I, on the other hand, apparently need to get out of my house a lot more often.

And Curt Schilling will be a deserving runnerup for the AL Cy Young award. But Johan Santana of the Twins is in a class by himself.

RCK

That road has been a dead end for several years.

Braves in the World Series during the 90's: 5 times.

Red Sox in the World Series during the 90's: ZERO times !

Put up or shut up!

While true that Atlanta was in the WS 5 of the 9 times it was played during the 1990's (there was no WS in 1994), the Yankees have been in the WS 6 of the most recent 9. Following your logic, the road to the world series goes through the NY Yankees.

Unfortunately, I am not a Yankee fan.

I root for the Braves in the National League, BoSox in the AL. Maybe they'll meet in the series, and I won't feel quite as bad of the Sox lose.

Hey, why should you never run over a Yankee fan who is riding a bicycle?

Chances are good it's your bicycle.

I think the Sox have got an awful lot of talent (left) but personally, I think their most under-rated and unappreciated player has got to be Jason Varitek. I love that man. Sure, he's not the best at throwing out base-stealers but he performs consistently, under pressure, when you need him. I really can't see Pedro being part of this team in 2005.

Since 1990, 14 teams have appeared in the World Series. In Atlanta's 5 appearances (the last in 1999) the Braves have won 1 and lost 4. The Yankees have appeared 6 times, winning 4 and losing 2, including last year. The road to the World Series might go through Atlanta, but it hasn't gone any further.

By the way, I am not a Red Sox fan. My prediction for the end of the world is with the score tied in the bottom of the ninth inning of the seventh game of the Series between the Red Sox and the Cubs. That way , Cubs and Sox fans can argue for all eternity over who would have really won the game.

You people on the coasts (that includes Atlanta) just don't get it. This could be a Fly Over World Series, or a Mississippi River Series--the Twin's pitching vs the Cardinal's bats.

RCK

Somehow I just noticed this thread. Wow. Even pax took the invitation to contribute to "Anybody want to talk about the Red Sox"! Shocker.

Santana (Carlos?) is my new hero. He shut out and up the Evil Empire last night.

And who did we trade to Blinky's people for Shilling, anwyay? Casey Fossum? Brandon Lyon? Hmmm. No wonder they say the worst pro franchise management is either the Mets or the DBacks. Remember, Dan Duquette's cousin makes the decisions for the Mets. Mo Vaughn still on the payroll? Nomar next year? Let's just hope Cabrera isn't.

Dan Duquette's cousin makes the decisions for the Mets.

Andy, I'd had no idea. I was so sure that we'd hammered a huge stake into the heart of All Things Duquette...

It's a safe bet that everyone in the Dominican Republic will be watching tonight's matchup of Pedro Martinez v. Bartolo Colon. Let's just hope that Pedro's year-end struggles are over and done, and that he'll go back to being, well, Pedro.

The series moves to Our House on Friday. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.

I bought this really great t-shirt (Boston Believe) at www.drunkenbleachers.com. I wore the shirt to last Sunday's game at Camden Yards. All these people kept stopping me wherever I went, so that they could read the back of my shirt. It's fun to figure out which nickname belongs to which player.

I just read today that Carl Yastrzemski's 44-year-old son, Mike, died a couple of weeks ago. What very sad news...

Guest rierie23

no fans awake yet..for those of us who couldn't stay up, the news this morning was great. jeanine, your man jason varitech-he's OK with me too. hoping for a sweep..............

My man came through last night again! Unfortunately, I watched mostly the highlights because the game was on so late. Here's the greatest example of network bias--the Yankees always get the prime time starts in the playoffs.

PEDRO PEDRO PEDRO!!!!

I'm not a member of Red Sox Nation, but I would like to see the Sox beat the Yankees. However, the experts seem to think that Schilling is injured, and that is why he pitched so poorly last night. If Schilling actually is injured, that does not bode well for the Sox. Could the dreaded curse be happening yet again to Schilling and the Sox?