Sign in to follow this  
Lori Friedman

Anybody want to talk about the Red Sox?

Yes, Curt Schilling has tendonitis in his ankle. The condition is nothing new; he spent most of the regular season playing despite it. He aggravated the ankle during his game last week v. Anaheim.

There are no curses. Last night, the Red Sox were in what appeared to be an impossible situation. Their starting pitcher was helpless, and Mike Mussina appeared to be flawless (he also got numerous strike calls on pitches that were several inches inside or outside). Instead of collapsing under a score of 8-0, they drove Mussina away, beat up on Gordon, and came within 1 run of tying the game. This morning, did any sportswriter laud the Red Sox for their tenacity and amazing offense? Of course not! They wrote off the entire 7-game series and went on and on about the immortal glory of the Yankees and the inevitable demise of the Red Sox.

The NL series begins today. One team will win; one team will lose. Will the losing team be buried alive in tomorrow's sports pages? Nope.

(Ok, I've gotten that off my chest and feel much better now :) )

Lori, some prominent media outlet (I don't remember if it was TV or radio or what-I listened and saw lots of pregame shows) quoted some "prominent" Red Sox player (unnamed) as saying before the game that if the Red Sox don't beat the Yankees this year they never will.

I don't disagree. I don't feel better now. Only Pedro can solve this problem.

As you know, I'm a Sox fan. But the simple fact is this: THEY LOST THE GAME. Paint the comeback in all the glowing terms you want, blame umpires until the cows come home, but they lost. They're 0 and 1.

Now, does this mean you write off the series? Absolutely not. But I find nothing terribly praiseworthy about last night - moral victories, if there is such a thing in baseball, don't win you the World Series.

As for the sportswriters, it's hard to blame them. They have their bylines written before the games ever started. Most of them lauding the Yankees (after all, historically a safer bet than the Sox) and the optomists have one ready for the Sox finally breaking the curse.

Now, Pedro is about due for a great game, so we'll hope for something better tonight! Maybe this is the year...

I'm sorry Lori, I didn't mean to touch a nerve. I am in the Midwest, and I do know that the sportswriters and radio pundits here have not written off the Sox at all--almost uniformly they lauded the Sox for their grit and determination in fighting back from the 8 run deficit and almost winning the game. Maybe the East Coast media has a different spin to the situation. I know I certainly enjoyed last year's ALCS (except for the outcome) and I am hoping for much of the same this year--hopefully a 7 game series with the Sox winning this time!

Guest quinn the car fixer

hey chowds

at least you still have brady and the pats.

(i think bellichek is wannstadt's daddy)

quinn the car fixer - why don't you listen to your Jungle rerun tape and leave the chowds alone; they have enough to worry about ...

no more rome in s. fla--so i don't get to hear him pumping up the fins to go 0-16.

or any hobos in the windshield resets

I apologize if I jumped down your throat, Chester. I didn't mean to be nasty to you. I have to confess that I'm completely irrational when it comes to the Boston Red Sox (but, I'm sure you've already figured that out!)

Guest Grabitquick

After last night's game, I'd say the Yanks are the ones who should be worried, not the Sox. Any team who's best pitcher takes a perfect game into the 7th inning like that, and then lets the lid blow off completely, has a lot to overcome to prevail over this Sox team over a possible 7 games.

Now, the quandry tonight is (1) do I stay in the office late and review my stack of QDROs, (2) watch the debate, (3) watch the Cards and Astros or (4) watch the Sox and Yanks. Care to guess?

I would say stay late in QDRO land, TIVO the debate, skip 3 and 4 and become a Football fan!

Signed: A disgruntled Cubs & Packers fan! :P

Guest Grabitquick

Oh, no, TBob, reviewing more QDROs is not an option with so many other worthwhile experiences to be had!

I would have rather reviewed a stack of QDROs then watch some of those feeble at bats from the likes of Damon, Belhorne, Miller, Millar, Varitek et al.

Why was Millar in that game?

Compared to the first 4 or 5 Yankee at bats, almost like the effort was not there.

Who turned these pitchers into unhittable superheros, anyway. The Sox did that to several pitchers this year, but I don't recall two in a row.

stephen, easy on quinn. He usually brings something to the table, and he makes me laugh each time his name pops up (or should I say out?).

We bandwagon jumpers need a bit of humor and sarcasm right now.

is it over now that pete couldn't get it done?

its been 3 months now--what i wouldn't give to hear an orenthal email read by van smack.

Guest Grabitquick
I would have rather reviewed a stack of QDROs then watch some of those feeble at bats from the likes of Damon, Belhorne, Miller, Millar, Varitek et al.

In retrospect, QDROs would have been a much better diet.

quinn, did all the wind down there blow away the internet connections? Perhaps a sound card and some speakers might do the trick?

Or, how about one of these affiliates per the website. How far south can you be?

FL

GAINESVILLE WTMN-AM 1430

JACKSONVILLE WFXJ-AM 930

MIAMI WRFX-AM 940

MIAMI-KEY WEST WKWF-AM 1600

ORLANDO WQTM-AM 540

TALLAHASSEE WNLS-AM 1270

TAMPA WDAE-AM 620

andy--the miami station went to politics. i'll be getting broadband and listen shortly

on the alcs

i'm conflicted :

i hate the yanks but what is with the lids on the redsox? pete and man-ram and damon et al. there is this new thing called scissors --feel free to visit a supercuts.

quinn, careful about Manny's hair.

Last year (or the year before-I'm not sure), he was in Pawtucket RI at their AAA affiliiate rehabbing from a tweaked hamstring-what a shock! I was at the game.

In about the 6th inning he was due up and the bases were loaded and the game was tied. But, nooo, Manny had already been up once or twice. Turns out he had left the stadium in full uniform to get new dreadlocks ala Bob Marley from a shop owned by a cousin of one of the players. The Pawsox lost the game.

Just Manny being Manny. We don't want this to happen in the ALCS!

TBob, I just noticed the Cubs reference. I have a good friend out in the Windy City who went to school (roomed) with me here in Red Sox Nation (many moons ago) and was ecstatic when we shipped Nomore out mid west. How'd that work out?

Actually, my two kids have met him twice in baseball camps (I have pictures on the wall with Mo Vaughn and Nomar and my kids) and he has been a class act all the way until money got in the way. Or chemical testing. Or marriage. I hope it was just money and lots of bad luck. But that is lots of injuries with zero explanations.

Your (and his) best bet is he signs for one year and his physical status is resolved positively and bad luck is the only physical issue.

All of us out here wish that for him. Seems like a great human being.

But this Cabrera guy is amazing. Not to mention Pokey. Both are free agents, though!

Red Sox Nation demands that Cabrera be resigned.

jevd: I believe that the Red Sox Nation has turned in early the last two nights and believes that the Yankees are in the World Series.

RCK

It seems preordained that this would come down to a 7th game. No matter who wins, at least it turned into an exciting series. The Sox and the Yankers have played each other to a standstill over the last couple of seasons, so maybe it's Boston's turn. I think I'd better set up an intravenous caffeine drip in my office, and pray that tonight's game doesn't go into extra innings.

And no matter who you root for, you've got to admire Schilling's guts. Pretty impressive performance on his part last night.

Yes last night's game was great! It seems I have heard this for three nights in a row now. Hopefully, we can say the same tomorrow about tonight's game seven.

GO SOX GO!

Well, I have to admit that I jumped off the bandwagon 3 games ago. Schilling and Ortiz for the Oval office. Pedro to be the closer tonight? You couldn't make this up.

andy-are the chowds going to pull a detroit and riot and burn it down if they beat the yanks ?? lock yourself in the basement