Sign in to follow this  
Lori Friedman

Anybody want to talk about the Red Sox?

jevd wins the prize for that comment. Just imagine. And imagine if the umpires actually make a mistake in the Sox favor!

The Red Sox need a few balls and strikes going their way tonight or Lowe will self destruct.

quinn, did you jinx ManRam? The Mullet? Where'd they go?

p.s. UMass Amherst will be the hottest MA spot tonight.

Whichever ever way tonight's game turns out (I hope the Sox win) this World Series will have to go down as one of the most (if not the most) entertaining, memorable and dramatic Series of all time! I thought last year's Series was good, but this one beats it hands down. Kudos to the Sox for hanging in there and showing some guts and determination--coming back to foil Rivera two nights in a row was unbelievable. Ortiz is one fantastic clutch hitter (does he have another clutch hit left for tonight?).

I wonder if George S. slapped ARod's wrist or shook his hand for a nice try???

All of New England just exhaled for the first time at midnight last night.

Great series, but I sure am glad it's over. Now I can get some sleep for a couple of nights. I'm hoping St. Louis beats Houston, just because I don't want Clemens to have the opportunity to beat the Sox.

If any of my posts seem dumber than usual, just blame it on sleep deprivation.

Guest quinn the car fixer

are we going to see the midget in the series? where has he been?

I know what you mean Belgarath. In my last post I referred to the Yankees-Red Sox series as the World Series--I think the lack of sleep is catching up to me. Wow, what a comeback! Who woke up Damon last night?

Francona's lack of sleep must have accounted for bringing in Pedro last night for one inning. Otherwise, it made zippo sense. But lots of his decisions left me scratching my head. And they all worked out, so I will no longer criticize the manager.

......provided of course that we win the World Series........

......But then the Celtics and Bruins coaches better better look out. We are running out of coaches to complain about! up here.

Hey Andy:

Actually, I wouldn't be too worried about Roger if Houston pulls this out. We didn't have much problem with him last year, and I'd venture that much of his success in Houston this year had to do with switching leagues (and hence having to face batters who weren't familiar with him).

What a series. I was about ready last Saturday night after the debacle to start a bonfire of RS stuff in my yard, and now look where we are. My one complaint last night is that Fox didn't have a hidden camera in George's office; talk about a great reality series that would have been!

Now we know it's the Cardinals heading to Boston-

Will the curse be broken?

These teams met in the 1946 and 1967 World Series with both ending with the Cardinal's winning the 7th game. The Red Sox also lost the 7th game of the World Series in 1975 to Cincinnati and in 1986 to the NY Mets.

GOOD LUCK TO THE RED SOX!

Mike,

You've got that right. And I jumped off the bandwagon 10/14 as indicated above while you were prepping that bonfire. Game 3 was totally disgusting.

The turnaround was amazing.

Did you hear about the NY Post columnist calling this the start of

"The Curse of A-Rod!"?

I said it then and I'll say it now that I have soooo glad that deal not go through.

Wonder how Rodriguez's endorsement deals are going in NYC?

Looks like he's been tagged now with "A-Fraud", and a personal favorite from the SOSH site: Slappy McBluelips.

What do the Sox do with Ortiz when the games are played in St. Louis (no DH)? Do they play him at first even though he is a defensive liability? I would think they can't afford to not have his bat in the line-up. I also wondered why Martinez was used for one inning in the 7th game with a 7 run lead--if he doesn't pitch in that game you can use him as the starter on Saturday night, and have the ability to start him 3 games in the World Series if it goes 7 games.

First base!

And I must say I don't quite understand the A-Rod bashing earlier. Aside from his giant ego/personality, which after all isn't an uncommon problem among the spoiled brats in pro sports...

Yes, he had an "off" year - for him, which is still better than 95% of the rest of the league. Great shortstop - better than Jeter - but he played third this year, which can be a distraction - not an easy position to learn/play in the first year. Stole bases. I'll tell you what - take a poll of major league managers, and ask them if they'd rather have Rodriguez or Cabrera. I expect he'll again put up stellar numbers next year. I just hope he doesn't do it against Boston!

Hey Belgarath:

Just check out the NY papers for why A-Rod is getting bashed. The Yankees didn't shell out that type of money for gaudy stats during the season; they paid it for production in October, which he sorely failed at providing (0-4 in game 7, did not hit in key situations in the series).

I was listening to Peter Gammons on the way home yesterday and he brought up the point that several RS players came to Mark Belhorn's defense after the media was dumping on him earlier in the series for not hitting. However, after the game 6 brain cramp tomahawk chop, you heard no yankee players coming to A-Rod's defense after some of the RS players were ragging on him.

So no, in retrospect we're perfectly happy not having the A-Rod trade from last winter go through, and the Yankees are regretting their move. For such an "impact" player, why did Seattle and Texas both get better after his departure?

Didn't say he was well liked, or even likable. Just that he's a great player. As for for production in October, he batted .320 in the playoffs(behind only Matsui among his Yankee teammates) while Jeter hit .245. Now, Jeter is a class act, and A-Rod isn't. I just can't see bashing his performance, which was pretty good. Gaudy numbers in October are largely a matter of luck/coincidence anyway - even the greatest players are inconsistent in a given short series or two.

As for teams getting better without him, I firmly believe that ANY team has a good chance of improving if they take out one player making 15 or 20 million a year, and replace him with several other players at a lesser price. No hitter is worth that much, IMHO, although you can make a pretty good argument that a really dominant pitcher, such as Randy Johnson, might be - particularly in a seried where they might be able to pitch 3 out of 7 games.

Only one thing I'm certain about - it's harder to figure out baseball teams and players than to interpret IRS regs, but the discussions are a lot more fun!

Belgarath, remember, the question isn't would you rather have A-Rod or Cabrera, it's a question of A-Rod or Carbrera plus one or two additional star players. Let's see, A-Rod or Cabrera, Foulke and Varitek for example.

With very few exceptions, one star position player never seems to have that much of an impact for some reason.

Hey Belgarath:

I will say this: A-Rod had the chance to put this thing away. He didn't in game 5, and was ineffectual (and somehow flipped back to High School Cornerback mentality rather than Baseball God), committing a moronic play and bringing Jeter back to first. For this, you pay $25m? I'll guarantee you that the NYY fans don't buy into the short series variance you mentioned. They expect someone to deliver in the clutch wearing the pinstripes, and A-Rod has not demonstrated it. I would say the venom in Boston against A-Rod is minimal; try perusing the NY papers, message boards, etc. Now that will make your hair stand up on end.

Guest clyde14

another late night, but pedro showed up. can't help but wonder what is next for him. hope tonight ends it all...

So tell me why the city of Boston would schedule a victory parade for Saturday if they win tonight or Sunday if they win tomorrow night and make the parade public knowldge? This is crazy! Here I was thinking they woulr wrap it up in ST. Louis and lo and behold they giftwrap motivation for the Cardinals...

How dumb can they be? (Oh yeah, thius is the same city that is still working on the BIG DIG...)

GO SOX GO!

;) I've always had a soft spot in my heart for both the Red Sox and the Cardinals. However, I'm cheering for the Sox this time just so we don't have to hear about The Curse any longer. Maybe then, the sympathies of the Nation (outside of NYC, anyways) will shift to another deserving team, the long-suffering Cleveland Indians.

Prediction: 9-5 Red Sox in Game 4.

Who's your Daddy, er um, I mean WS MVP (still tired)?

p.s. Is Tavares aka Freddy Krueger going to hit somebody in the head tonight? It sure looked like he was trying last night.

Well.... Pedro did it in magnificantly last night (with a little help from David "Pappi" Ortiz throwing out Suppan to sustain his shutout!). Who said he could only hit

Manny also took the crowd out of it early with the solo shot in the first... Do you think Manny wanted to make up for his poor play the game before? HR in the first, throwing out Walker at the plate.

An all around wonderful effort by the "Idiots" from Boston I must say... They certainly have stepped up to the plate after facing elimination down 3-0 against... who were those guys? 7 straight games! WOW, the Sox are on fire!

If they take it tonight, now that will be an accomplishment for the recordbooks.... The only baseball team Down 3-0 to come back and win the ALCS, then a "sweep" to win the World Series. As many have said, "you couldn't write this"

Has anyone thought of this? Full eclipse of the moon tonight... the moon will not be blackend from the sky but rather it will be a deep red (from the light of the sun being bent around the earth onto the moon)... a sign that the so called "curse" has been lifted?