Handbook for Small Business

Guest Melanie

Guest Melanie

Any suggestions for content of a handbook for a company of 23 employees? I have done a handbook with such items as mission statement, equal employment opportunity, new employees, harrassment statement/policy, insurance, software licensing, and holiday schedule. Any suggestions on topics I've missed?

Melanie...

Usually your attorney will have a list of items to include in your handbook. Also, there are software packages that have "canned " handbooks with most information to include. For example, in Calif, the Calif. Chamber of Commerce has a package available for a basic handbook.

Of course, there are always HR consultants who are QUITE reasonable for this type of thing, and are quite knowledgeable in the area of handbooks.

Peg

Guest Dan Cassidy

Inc. Magazine recently had an article on this topic. They profiled the handbook of Motley Fool - the internet site. In the article, I think they mentionned you can get some samples on their web site or by emailing Motley Fool.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...
Guest Marie S Minton

You can also try the "Council on Education in Management" Phone # (510) 934-8333. I have ordered standardized personnel documents from them, including a "Model Personnel Policy Manual".

I also recommend evaluating Professional Employer Organizations (such as "Administaff") that provide payroll and benefits for a fee.

Was the Health Maintenance Organization Act or the regulations under it amended during 1998? If so, can you point me to what area of it that was amended. Thanks.