Overpayment of Dependent Care FSA Claims

Guest akwallace

Guest akwallace

I have a scenario I need some advice on:

A Dependent Care FSA participant elects $5,000 for the Plan year. He contributes $5,000 via payroll deduction. Due to the timing issues with status changes, he has a qualified family status change that reduces his FSA to $4,500. He receives a payroll refund for the $500, but the FSA administrator had already paid out the full $5,000 in claims.

The FSA administrator attempts to collect the $500 overpayment, by March 31 of the following calendar year, but the employee does not repay.

Does the $500 become taxable income to the employee in the following calendar year, or does the employer just write this off as uncollected debt?

Thanks.

This response assumes that the salary reduction refund was effective. In other words the $500 refund "worked" under the cafeteria plan rules. I am not sure if the attempt worked.

There are two $500 amounts. One $500 amount was a payroll refund. That means the employee had salary reduced by $4500. The $500 "refund" is taxable pay -- salary was not reduced by the original $5000. Of the orginal $5000, the employee includes $500 in income and $4500 is not included because of section 125.

The other $500 is the amount of childcare assistance that the employer provided to its employee. That $500 is not taxable to the employee if it is provided under the employer's childcare assistance program that qualifies under section 129. You can argue either way, but I would argue that the $500 was not provided under the program because the terms of the program say that the employer would provide the $4500 elected by the employee. Therefore section 129 does not protect the employee from taxation. The employer provided $500 that is deductible as compensation and the employee got $500 of childcare benefits taxable as compensation. And all of this appears to have occurred in the same taxable year of the employee.