$50,000 Life Ins Limit ans Self-employed

I see that Code Sec. 79 applies a $50,000 cap on the amount of life insurance that can be received by an EMPLOYEE under a group term life insurance plan. I presume this means that self-employed individuals (partners) who receive group term life insurance through the firm's plan are not subject to this limit.

Who has a cite that describes the life insurance tax rules that apply to the self-employed?

$50,000 isn't the maximum life insurance benefit that can be provided to an employee. It's the amount of benefit that can be provided tax-free. The cost of coverage in excess of $50,000 is gross compensation to the employee. The taxable amount isn't the employer's actual premium cost, but an amount calculated using a uniform premium rate schedule. The authority is I.R.C. Sec. 79.

For example, it's not unusual for an employer to provide group-term life insurance equal to 2X or 3X annual salary. That's ok, but if the benefit exceeds $50,000, the employee has to recognize some taxable compensation.

Partners aren't employees, and they don't get nontaxable fringe benefits. If a partner is covered by his/her firm's group-term life insurance policy, the entire cost is treated as a guaranteed payment.

Lori Friedman

Kirk-

The difficult question in such situation is how much income is imputed to the partner. Since it is given that it is a "group term life insurance program" (presumably complying with Section 79, it appears to me that the greater of the actual premiums or the Table I amount would be taxable to the self-employed individual. Do you agree?

Ron

Kirk, You're correct when you say that the entire amount of the premium is income for a partner. I.R.C. Sec. 79 and its regulations, including the Table I uniform premium values, relate only to group-term insurance on an employee's life. The rules don't apply to partners.

Lori Friedman

If a partnership maintains a group-term life insurance arrangement for its employees, and the plan covers partners as well, it is still a GTLIA. I believe that the treatment of partners is the same as the treatment of key employees in a discriminatory GTLIA, ie, the GREATER of the actual premium or the premium imputed under Table I.

Vebaguru:

Do you have a cite that supports your position? In doing a brief amount of research I couldn't find anything that supports it; everything goes the other way.

Section 79 says that it applies to insurance purchased for eemployees and self-employed individuals are, by definition, not employees. Thus, section 79 does not apply to self-employed individuals.

It would be a truly odd result if the rules of section 79 governed the tax treatment of individuals who aren't even subject to that provision in the first place.

Kirk Maldonado

Kirk, I'm fully agreeing. The premiums are taxable to the partner. It's as if the partner used his own after-tax dollars to pay life insurance premiums (which, if you think about it, is exactly what happens...just indirectly).

Lori Friedman