collective bargaining in a governmental unit-retiree benefits, health and welfare

Guest flipper1677

Guest flipper1677

I need some expert advice about retiree benefits being changed by a collective bargaining agreement after vesting has occurred, increasing the years of service required through a new contract after the individual has a deferred retirement date and seperated from a county government for approximately 17 years, just finding out the years of service have increased for health retiree benefits from 8 years (year of departure, Union contract gave health benifits), to 15 years which prevents qualification. Which collective bargaining contract is the correct contract for health benefits, the year the individual seperated or some new contract, denying the vesting committment of when seperated from service.

I think it is going to depend on how the language in the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) is specifically worded, both under the old contract and the new. "Vesting" and "promised" are terms that I often hear used by participants receiving or hoping to receive a benefit, but which unfortunately does not accurately describe the provisions set forth in a CBA. There are many, many variables and possibilities which I can easily envision permitting the situation you describe. If it was the intent of the parties that this type of change be permitted, it can be done.

Try contacting the union to see how they respond to your situation. As a party to the CBA, they should be able to clarify its meaning and intent for you.

Good luck.