the World Series in the 21st century

the 21st century actually began in the year 2001.

so this year is the 5th world series of this century.

This means, including this year, the Yankees will have lost 40% of the World Series in this century.

If the White Sox, the Yankees will be responsible for 100% of the Amrican League losses.

from what I can tell they have spent an amazing 900 million in the last 5 years to ccomplish this feat.

way to go. gotta love it.

oh, the Yankees have never won the World Series in this century.

The first champs were crowned in 1884. The yankees did not even make it to the WS until 1921 and first won it in 1923. WHAT A BUNCH OF LOSERS FOR THE FIRST 38 YEARS!!!

Thus, if Tom's calculations are correct should the Yankees not win the World Series next year they will have spent more than ONE BILLION DOLLARS ($1,000,000,000) in this century and not have a single ring to show for it.

I'll also guess that the Yankee fans (if there are any on these boards) are gloating about the 26 World Championships they won in between the years mentioned by Tom and 403.

(Corrected "403b" to 403 as pointed out by Mr. Preston)

... the Yankees ... will have spent more than ONE BILLION DOLLARS ($1,000,000,000) in this century and not have a single ring to show for it.

Nothing? Perhaps they made a profit? After all, why should you complain about Steinbrenner spending his own money? (I don't care either.)

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

... the Yankees ...  will have spent more than ONE BILLION DOLLARS ($1,000,000,000) in this century and not have a single ring to show for it.

Nothing? Perhaps they made a profit? After all, why should you complain about Steinbrenner spending his own money? (I don't care either.)

If only Steinbrenner was like the Tribune Co. & just fielded a loser year in and year out. Thats what all owners should strive for.