Sign in to follow this  
jevd

New Look

Yes, we did have visitors from Bulgaria on Saturday, a little after noon.

The vulnerability was my fault; I hadn't upgraded the message board software in quite a while.

I had looked at the newest version of the software a couple months back but didn't see that it had enough features to merit the trouble of an upgrade. But I forgot that one very good reason to keep up with the latest versions of software is to take advantage of changes that have been made to patch vulnerabilities.

The damage to the boards appears to have been limited to changing the home page on BenefitsLink and the message boards ("You've been hacked, etc."); I don't think they were able to access the database holding the content of the messages.

Oh, and the other change was that the characters "lol" (as in "laughing out loud") were added to the start and end of every word ... that one took me a little while to figger out :blink:

We're now running the latest and greatest version of the software; I need to tweak it to provide some of the graphics we had before, but I'm happy that I don't have to worry about my Bulgarian friends now.

The upgrade was difficult in part because the upgrade instructions from the software vendor (Invision Power Services) were flawed; I had to find the flaws and fix 'em. Plus the size of the database (29,000 message threads) meant the conversion process was a couple of hours for each attempt. I wish it hadn't taken so long on Monday and Tuesday to get the new software up and running, but I was working on it full-time.

Thanks for lolhanginglol lolinlol loltherelol loleverybodylol ! :D

Guest Pensions in Paradise

THANK YOU. I never really appreciated how much I enjoy this site until the boards went down on Monday and Tuesday. I felt kind of lost those days.

Guest KFM

I still can't get in using my login, so I had to create a new one, KFM.

Kirk Maldonado

Sounds like several of us "ole-timers" are having issues getting logged back in.

I've sent Dave several messages, and he must be swamped - no reply - either that - or they aren't getting through.

I had to change my login - and he'll need to re-assign moderator status' or figure out the issue with the password resets.

I know he's working hard on things, and at this point, I think our login ability is low man on the pole - although I do miss the "status" and "ego trips" from the original subscriber dates and number of posts - sniff.

:)

I had a problem logging in a couple of days ago because it wouldn't accept my password. I used my Log In name, though, and requested my password. When it was sent to me, I had no trouble getting back into the site. It asked me to set a new password but it has been working ever since. By the way, I checked the spelling in this post for Kirk and I do nut find any miss takes. :D

Took me a week or so to get back in also, but thanks to this thread I solved it the same way. But I know others who cannot get in under the old name.

Guest Davve Bakker

This is a test message by user "Davve Bakker" -- I want to see what happens to it when I delete the user Davve Bakker after posting this message. :blink:

This is a test message by user "Davve Bakker" -- I want to see what happens to it when I delete the user Davve Bakker after posting this message.

Thanks, at least, for not posting another test image.