Gratitude - A Matter of Perspective

Things for Which to be Thankful

The spouse who complains when dinner is not on time, because s/he is home with me, not with someone else.

The teenager who is complaining about doing dishes, because that means she is at home & not on the streets.

The mess to clean after a party because it means I have been surrounded by friends.

The taxes I pay because it means that I'm employed.

The clothes that fit a little too snug because it means I have enough to eat.

A lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.

All the complaining I hear about our government because it means we have freedom of speech.

The space I find at the far end of the parking lot because it means I am capable of walking.

My huge heating bill because it means I am warm.

The lady behind me in church who sings off key because it means that I can hear.

The piles of laundry and ironing because it means I have clothes to wear.

Weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day because it means I have been productive.

The alarm that goes off in the early morning hours because it means that I'm alive.

...but then again, What Do I Know?

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with everything that WDIK wrote.

It kind of reminds me of Oscar Wilde's saying that people know the costs of everything and the value of nothing.

I started thinking, however, of the way people look at blessings, specifically those things that can be measured.

How would y'all look at some of the "blessings" that WDIK cited, if they were suddenly lost, like a job?

Would that be a curse, or just a different class of blessing?

Don Levit

I agree with most of the ideas, but can nitpick with the wording of "My huge heating bill because it means I am warm". My heating bill is huge, but I wouldn't say I am warm, usually I am still a bit cold, but I am thankful that I am not freezing.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

That is a very thoughtful post. I guess it is how we view things in life. The glass is half full or the glass is half empty.

We tend to always think in the negative! <_<