Sign in to follow this  
Guest Robin.Wolf

Computer Crashes When Scrolling in Message Boards

Guest Robin.Wolf

Here's a strange question--has this happened to anyone else? When I am using my mouse button on the far right side of the screen to scroll down while reading messages, my computer often crashes when the scroll bar reaches the very bottom right corner of the screen. It has been doing this both before and since the message board software was updated. When this happens there is no alternative but to hit "reset" and start all over--hitting Ctrl/Alt/Delete doesn't do anything when in this "mode." This does not happen when I am in any other application.

If anyone has any ideas on what causes this and how to avoid it I'd love to hear them!

Robin, have you installed a "utility" program that was designed to cause something to happen when you move your mouse to certain corners of the screen? It sounds like such a program was installed at some point but is crashing when it actually tries to do whatever it is supposed to do (e.g., close the window, or minimize the window to your task bar).

See if there's something like that in your list of installed programs using the Windows add/remove programs "control panel."

What browser are you using?

Does it happen in other applications (Word, Excel, email, etc.) or only while viewing web pages?

How old is your computer?

About the only thing I found in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175148

Also, check for the latest updates to Windows, anti-virus, spy/adware, etc. I remember a few friends having this problem 5-6 years ago when video cards lacked power.

Good Luck!

Guest Robin.Wolf

Wow! That is an impressive cite--thanks! (And thanks to Dave Baker too.)I only have the problem on BenefitsLink.com, not when I view other Internet sites (like my home e-mail!) or when I am using other programs such as Excel and Word. I am trying to keep track of what other applications I have open when it happens, but of course when it crashes everything freezes and I can't see what else I had running. I don't have any utilities installed that I could find.

I will pass this along to the IT people who are looking at this--I bet it will help.

That's odd that its only happening on the BenefitsLink.com page. Have you tried using a different browser? If you aren't using Firefox, I'd recommend trying it out. You can get it here.