Sign in to follow this  
Guest gdburns

Getting back old name

Guest gdburns

After numerous tries to log in, I finally decided to re-register. That took quite a few tries before I could get in.

I do not recall all the details but I recall that in both situations, I was told that a confirmation email would be sent. That never happened for the numerous tries. When I did get an email, I happily used it so that I could use the Board.

However, using the new name I get a new posting count while losing all that went before. In other words I lost my track record and search value. It might not mean much to some, and there are even some who might say that it is for the best (or worse), but I miss them.

Is there any way of reactivating the old name or merging the new with the old?

I know what you mean. I would feel the same.

I forwarded your post to Dave Baker. If it is possible- he will fix it.

Denise

Two things

1- is it possible that you changed your e-mail address, and the confirmation was therefore being sent other than where you thought?

2- Did you get the e-mail below from Dave Baker? If you did not, it means your E-mail address on file with Benefitslink is different from the one you are using- which would be why you are not receiving the confirmation E-mail.

Last week we upgraded the software that runs the BenefitsLink message boards, to improve security (prevent break-ins).

This note comes to you because you've registered "Appleby" as your user name for the purpose of posting messages and otherwise using the BenefitsLink message boards.

INFORMATION FOR PEOPLE HAVING TROUBLE LOGGING IN

Have you had trouble logging in lately? If so, please follow this procedure:

1. Go to the home page of the message boards, at http://benefitslink.com/boards/index.php

2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the link near the bottom that says "Delete cookies set by this board"

3. Scroll up to the top of the page and click on the "Log In" link (next to "Welcome, Guest")

4. Enter your email address (the one this email is being sent to)

5. Enter the password you assigned previously when you created your "Appleby" user name

6. Click "Log me in"

If you've forgotten the password used for your "Appleby" user name, it's easy to set a new one. Instead of entering your email address and password, click on the link that says "I've forgotten my password! Click here!" You'll be taken to a different screen where you fill in your email address (the one this email is being sent to), a "security code" (which stops automated web robots from using the form), and then click "Proceed." Once you have created a new password, it would be smart to follow the 6-step procedure described above before you try to log in with the new password.

If you continue to have trouble logging in, please let me know.

Guest gdburns

No, I did not get that email.

I have not changed my email address. Even if I had I would have received it there and eventually seen it.

I eventually did get a confirmation email, but that was after many many tries. I used the same email address almost every time.

I say "almost" because I suspected that there might be a delivery problem, so I know that I tried at least 1 time using bellsouth.net. I did not get a confirmation email there either so I reverted to my old email.

I even sent an email to Dave but did not get a reply either. In fact, not getting a reply from him after a few days was the reason why I decided to use a new name when that eventually got a confirmation.

I should add that the system did tell me at some stage that there was either or both no such user name and no such email address. I do not recall whether this was initially or subsequently.

Thanks for your email, George.

I've reset your password and performed some cookie magic at my end; please let me know if GBurns doesn't work for you now (log in with your email address, though).

The reason you and others have had trouble is the new version of the software only allows one username per email address. Don't ask me why. (Why?) So when you create a new username sometimes it causes even more trouble.

I'm happy to help anybody individually -- just email me at davebaker_at_benefitslink.com.

Thanks!

It worked!! I am alive!!

GBurns is back. I am sorry that I have to disappoint 2 readers who wanted gdburns instead.

Thanks Dave.