Education. To be or not to be.

Guest Determinedgoals

Guest Determinedgoals

Hello. I found this forum looking for tution assistance. I am a married father of three and disabled. I have decided to return to school to further my own education. In hopes of ataining some sort of desk job to enhance my family's quality of life. I have enrolled and will begin taking classes online comencing Feb. 8, 2006 and estimated time of completion July of 2007. I have enrolled in hopes of achieving a Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice.

Since my fanancial aid package didn't cover total tution I have agreed to have the University finance the balance. I know my fualt. My monthly payments will be approximately $271.00 per month. Balance of $10,000.00 est. will need to be paid in full prior to graduation Simple math shows that is mathmatically impossible. Higher payment would have resulted in the termination of enrollment acceptance on my behalf due to income and lack of ability to meet finacial obligation.

None the less I am serious about doing this and I am seeking help in achieving my goals. Six months after graduation my student loans take over for repayment. I am looking at approximatley $25,000.00 total.

What I am seeking is either a person or persons whom may know of any groups, firms, partnerships or individualls that may alllow me to apply for any amount of scholarship reward or assistance available. Any one that may choose to help in any amounts, I mean any, I would prefer that the contributions be made directly to the school and not to me. That way they will know that the funds are being used accordingly.

I do not know any tax laws or anything that might cause this to be considered a charitable contribution, but I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be either. I need help. Anything at all. I have all the normal supplies to buy now, for not only my kids but me also.

I know that this will be looked at as beging by another bum. I am not a bum. I am disabled Certified Automotive Techician with over 25 years profesional experience and at least 10 of those were in positions of management.

If anyone can or would be willing to help I would be more than thankful. In return I might be able to provide assistance of some sort. I will even send homeade cookies, the whole batch of anywhere form 3-5 dozen for at least contributions in the of $50.00 if they want.

Thus if you have read this and may find a way to help me thank you. The posistion I am stuck in is if I try to get a job I loose my Security disablity. I am willing to do that after I graduate. If I got a job to make payments then loosing that would cause me to put my family in finacial jeapordy. I honestly have no family members to turn to and do not know anyone that might help me.

I am just a middle aged, almost not quite, Married father trying to make a difference in my familys quality of life. I have applied and been acepted at Colorado Technical University. Anything at all would be apprecaited. Please email me if you would be interested or know of anyone that might be willing to see thier way to help in any way.

Thank you and may God bless.

Getting a BS degree in 1 1/2 years seems fishy. It took me 4 years to get my BS degree going to school

as a full-time student. Unless you had prior schooling where the credits transferred (2 year community college or extension courses) I don't think this would be doable (unless they are handing out diplomas like candy, which means the degrees are bogus!)

Guest Determinedgoals
Getting a BS degree in 1 1/2 years seems fishy. It took me 4 years to get my BS degree going to school

as a full-time student. Unless you had prior schooling where the credits transferred (2 year community college or extension courses) I don't think this would be doable (unless they are handing out diplomas like candy, which means the degrees are bogus!)

I do have transfer credits from previous College classes. Transfer credits of 56 applied with grades of C+ or better. I have a total of 69 previous credits. Thus 12 credits short to be enrolled as a Junior. I am enrolled as a Sophmore. I acheived an Associates degree in Auto Mechanics from Pueblo Comunity college in Pueblo, Colorado. The school I am enrolled in is Colorado Technical University. I have enrolled in the online division due to the fact that the comute to the school facilities would be in excess of 80 miles round trip daily.

Classes start on the 8th of Feburary. So far I have not only taken the entrance exam, but have also taken proficency exams in English Composistion, Business Math and computer applications. I passed the English and Computer test to recieve additional credits. Since it has been so long since I used advanced math skills such as Algebra I opted to have the math class reinstated in my course outline. By the way I did not fail the Math test. I scored a 75 % of 100 possible. That is not high enough to recieve credit.

The computer test was based on operating knowledge of using windows applications. I scored a 49% rank in results from those that took the test prior. I know that is not stellar. What I know about computers is what I have learned on my own and from asking questions.

Aslo the school is not handing out degrees. All students are enrolled in Degree programs. Part time enrollment status is not employed and selected classes to brush up on or intrest of learning a couple topics is not permited.

However thank you for your response

Have you tried socail security for any programs for disabled folks? Short of loans, scholarships and grants I don't know of any other sources of funds. Church or Organized fund raisers work sometimes too. Future employers are also places to look. What will you do with this degree? Whe did you want to work for? Can you work for someone part time for tuition funds? Does the school help find internships that pay for students? Does the school offer employment for janitorial, library, cafeteria, print shop, anything?

To define tuition assistance as it is used on the boards you have to understand the folks who use the boards. We work in employee benefits, either on the employer side, the provider side, the legal side, the trust side........... and usually the benefits are provided by an employer to employees.

Good luck on finishing your degeree.

JanetM CPA, MBA

You mention that you're an automotive technician. Are you a member of a labor union? If yes, some unions have scholarship funds for the benefit of members and their dependents.

You're participating at this message board, so we know that you have internet access. There are countless scholarship organizations out there, and probably quite a few that help people with physical disabilities. Have you tried searching on the internet for those sources of funding? Scholarship programs seek qualified applicants who meet specific criteria for selection.

I wish you the best of luck. I hope things will work out for you.

Lori Friedman

Guest Determinedgoals
You mention that you're an automotive technician. Are you a member of a labor union? If yes, some unions have scholarship funds for the benefit of members and their dependents.

You're participating at this message board, so we know that you have internet access. There are countless scholarship organizations out there, and probably quite a few that help people with physical disabilities. Have you tried searching on the internet for those sources of funding? Scholarship programs seek qualified applicants who meet specific criteria for selection.

Thank You for replying. No I'm not a member of any Unions. I am applying for scholarships and endowments.

Guest Determinedgoals

Thank You for replying. No I'm not a member of any Unions. I am applying for scholarships and endowments.

Thank you for the viewings so far. Where we live is the Prison Capital of the world. We have State and Federal Facilities. I am planning on attempting employment with our DA's office in hopes of working with or on an InterNet Task force for the apprehesion of sexual and child predators. Also having Federal Facilities I plan on applying with the Goverment. As to unions and Auto Techs. Unless your employed by the manufacturers very few if any are members of any Unions. We are employed and are independet form unions and thier affiliations. Just as so many other ocupations are also not in Unions. Some Employers offer tuition reinbuirsment after the employee has completed studies for additinal training. Upfront costs are paid by the employee till graduation. Then most times only a portion is repaid or contributed. However anything is better than nothing. Social Security does not offer nor have any funding for re-training. Even working part time then benefits are deducted from the amounts earned. I do have Stafford student loans in place that take over 6 months after graduation. However there is an offset balance of around $ 10,000.00 from the total tuition costs of $39,455.68 for my degree program. School is not cheap as everyone knows. My first go at college I worked 2 jobs. 1 full time and 1 part time. I did odd jobs when I could. Just as so many other students have done putting themselves through school. I am applying for every Scholarship or Endowment I can find which I may be eligable for. I even applied for some from MTV-U. And thats is mainly for teens that party. But hey. Money is money when bills need paid. I don't drink alcohol I do not use drugs. My church has faith based awards only with age limits to students seeking education in religious aspects. In my life I have been homeless, hungry and cold. I have never asked anything from anybody. I grow vegies in the summer and donate a very large portion to our local Loves and Fishes. I collect stuffed animals from the vending machines of department stores. Majority of which is given to me. Right before Christmas I take them to our Hospital for the Childrens ward. I donate clothing and School supplies to our local Socail Service center for people they are housing or helping from being victims of domestic abuse. I collect used cell phones and doante them to womens shelters. Even disabled cell phones still have 911 abilty. I hate asking strangers for help more than anything I have ever done in my life. It is degrading and humiliating. I am trying to re-gain a little self respect and contribute to the community I live in. If I could I would go play my Saxaphone on a street corner with a tin cup. However panhandling is a misdameanor here. The company my wife works offers scholarships only to chosen high school seniors and employies seeking additional training for advancing thier future potential within the company. Nothing for spouses. I am in the worst scenario imaginable. Middle aged, not quite, Caucasion male seeking help. Oh well. I still have sent applications to many ethinic award commitees. I do have Indian ancestry. That's mean I know. For that I apploligize.

Again thank you.