Earphones in the news

Okay been reading all the news about MP3 players or iPod players and their earphones. Seems one study done by American Speech-Language-Hearing Assoc. show that many listen for long hours and at high volumes and estimates that 22% of those 20 to 69 have suffered hearing damage form loud noise.

Am just wondering, do you think these music devices are the next tabacco. Are we going to have a bunch of 20 to 60 somethings with advanced hearing loss say no one warned them.

Will get off my cynical soap box so someone else can use it. Just for the record, I do not own an MP3 or iPod, I hate loud noise and can't stand those earbud things in my ear.

JanetM CPA, MBA

"...do you think these music devices are the next tobacco"

How about liquor, which can kill in only one use, when mixed with gasoline.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

Guest ronald mexico

ipods or mp3 players have a legitimate use. it is only people who increase the volume on the machine that will have problems.

i don't think there is a correlation to tobacco--there is no "good" or less harmful use of that product

Guest Pensions in Paradise

I respectfully disagree. Going downstairs and smoking a cigarette to relax has kept me from strangling quite a few co-workers over the years.

Headphones have been ruining people's hearing since Walkman's came out in the 70s/80s.

How about this for the next tobacco?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.fitnes...a.ap/index.html

I'm with you. The next tobacco is pop & fast food.

If McDonald's wouldn't make their burgers taste so good & Pepsi wouldn't make products that taste good, I wouldn't have to run 5 miles a day. I'm suing tomorrow for pain & suffering.

Guest ronald mexico

PIP --you don't live in south fla do you? i might need to be more careful at the next aspa meeting

I think that the new tobacco is going to be fluoride.

And cities will get sued for using too much.

And bottled water companies will get sued for not having enough.