Career suggestions for going back into defined contribution world

Guest mdship

Guest mdship

I'm from MA and have worked in Plan admin for a good 5 years. A few years ago I left my career to help the family business. Now the business is sold and would like to go back into my old career. I am currently completing the CEBS cert and am moving to South Carolina.

Any suggestions on what employers are looking for and how can I explain leaving my career to help out my family.

Guest FLMaster

Go into combintion plans DB/DC combinations for small business owners.

See Defined Benefit Answer Book 3d edition discussing optimal formulas for small business owners using DB/DC combinations chapter 14.

If you need to make money go into 412(i).

If you want to be a social worker become a fee based actuary.

Guest mdship

We are building a house in Charleston SC. I have already completed 4 CEBS classes and after passing the test for course 7 I will have my RPA. This will mean I only have 3 classes more to complete the CEBS.

Perhaps you know an ASPPA member that would be willing to help you by generating a list of ASPPA members in Charleston SC.

Look on BenefitsLink Job Search by State to see of any job openings in the area.

IMHO, your absence from the field is readily explained by your need to help out with the family business.

Guest mdship

Thanks, I'm just starting to get my resume together.

Perhaps you know an ASPPA member that would be willing to help you by generating a list of ASPPA members in Charleston SC.

Look on BenefitsLink Job Search by State to see of any job openings in the area.

IMHO, your absence from the field is readily explained by your need to help out with the family business.

I'd suggest at least two different resumes, targeted towared your basic job choices: internal for (typically) a larger employer, or on the provider side for a recordkeeper/trustee. It really is OK to have different versions, as long as they are more similar than different, and they are just "spun" a little differently.

The dates and "hard" facts have to be the same (duh), and you do have to keep track of who got which version.

Guest mdship

Great advise! I've been working on my resume. I've targeted a few companies in the Charleston area. I also want to get in touch with a few headhunters. I'll post my resume on benefitslink to see what happens.