Taking More Than One Exam at the Time

Just curious if it's feasible to take more than one exam during a testing window. I may have a block of time that I can set aside to do nothing but study. How much preparartion time is needed to study for the DC-1, DC-2 or DC-3 exam? I have not taken any of the exams so I have no clue what the practical time requirement might be to get prepared for them. For example, would it be possible to schedule the DC-1 at the beginning of the testing window and the DC-2 toward the end of the testing window or is that not at all doable nor sane...?? Thanks for any help.

well that all depends.

is it possible? of course.

if you were brand new to pensions I would say no.

since it says you have 500 posts on benefits link, you are either asking a lot of questions, or responding on some of them and that would indicate to me you have a good grasp of pensions.

the tests aren't easy, but they are certainly fair, I don't think there are any questions that are intended to trick you. if you have a good knowledge and you have at least looked at some of the questions from the study guide and you feel comfortable then I would say go for it. on the other hand, I have worked with people who have never passed, the forever '6' but not '7' and they simply claim they are not good test takers. I think that might have a little to do with it, but I also know they were weaker in the field than what they thought they were and their studying was insufficient to cover for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. I did it also (C1 and C2-DB) when they were on consecutive days and aced them both. You need a lot of experience to do it IMHO and a lot of time (I read the Pension Answer Book basically front to back twice while I waited for the other study materials). Archimage, which ones did you double up on?

I would not do it for C-3 and C-4 though.

• 1 month later...

I ended up registering for the DC-1, DC-2 and DC-3 in the Spring Exam Window. Fortunately, I passed all three.

Am considering registering for the DB, C-3 and C-4 in the Fall.

AndyH: You posted that you would not double up on the C-3 and the C-4. Any particular reason why not? Thanks.

chris, that is impressive. How much experience did you have going in?

I took them from 1998 to 2000, so much of the format has of course changed, but when I took C-3 and C-4 the "required" reading was much more extensive than the earlier tests, and I did not know much of the subject matter going in (particularly in C-3). By contrast, I knew a lot of the subject matter on the earlier ones before studying through work experience. I actually postponed taking C-3 twice because I found the reading so boring that I had trouble getting through it. Then it was PT's and Exemptions, hundreds of pages of them, then basis recovery rules, etc. Brutally boring to me. And the investment stuff, while interesting and not particularly difficult, was all new terminology to me. I could not answer any of the prior test questions going in. But in the end of course 85% of the reading was not on the test.

Tom: Thanks. No need to worry about job security. Archimage is right....I have no experience in singing/writing any songs for that matter.

AndyH: In addition to doing a paper or two on the taxation of qualified plan distributions during my Tax LLM Program at Villanova in '96 I had approx. 75 profit sharing & money purchase pension plans fall into my lap on my first day on the job. I probably spend 1/3 of my overall time working with existing plans and setting up new ones. I have ordered some of the study materials for the DB, C-3 and C-4 exams and will review those briefly before I consider registering. I have ZERO experience with DB plans and fear that one the most........

good luck, whatever you decide.

the only thing that got me by the c-3 or c-4 test was the ASPPA cram session plus the work experience.

as I rapidly approach being 'catch-up' eligible, the study habits have disappeared - well I suppose the workload doesn't help either. (and a movie quiz to post once and awhile!)

as for the songs, I have no idea why the goofy ideas pop into what little brain matter is left. well,we will see how things go at next weeks talk.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Brutus
I'd be interested to hear an update from chris.

So would I. I got fired from my job and a "Chris" was hired as my replacement. Oh well, more time to study for the C-4 this fall.

• 1 month later...